Is Giz trolling TSD for subject matter?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by nsomnac, May 11, 2014.

1. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

It's interesting that within the last few days thee was a discussion about hand/jean stroping DE/SE/Carts.

Then I awake to see this http://gizmodo.com/the-easy-trick-to-drastically-increase-the-life-of-your-1574690193
    In my news feed... Which seems to be a recycle of a really old article here http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...-razor-blade-cartridges-or-disposable-razors/

Anyone else think they could be trolling TSD for content? Giz's stories lately seem to contain a lot of 'old news' with weird content, based upon whom I suspect their readership is targeted.

Just seems a bit too coincidental since I think stroping DE/SE/Carts seems like a really fringe idea to show up on a mainstream blog. I could be quite wrong though...

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have been told by more than one long-lived gentleman that stropping double edge blades on drinking glasses or empty jars was done in the 1930s. There are occasionally photos on the wetshaving forums of stropping devices that appear to date from the same time frame. It is a continuation of the stropping that was required for older-sytle single edge razors (Star, Rolls Razor, etc.) and straight razors applied to newer blade types.

Conducting research on the Internet is no different than going to the library and gathering information from books. The bibliographies in many, if not most, reference books show this sort of information gathering is nothing unusual. What would be both unusual and unacceptable is outright plagiarism. Unless the articles you cited are substantially cut-and-paste from The Shave Den or some other source, then there isn't any problem.

Information on wetshaving forums, books and videos comprises both original research and information relayed from elsewhere. Such transmission of knowledge has been taking place since time immemorial, first in verbally, later in print and now also in electronic formats. I have seen some forum owners or moderators pitch a fit over this practice, but think they are way out of line when doing so. Of course, such individuals are always free to to excise all but original research from their own forums. I have not seen any that have done so to date.

Darkbulb likes this.