Is it just me or is the Merkur Futur and Vision UGLY

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jpb437, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I have been looking at a lot of razors in the past week and I just cant get over the look of the Merkur Futur and Vision Razors. I like that they tried to do something outside of the box, however I think these are just odd looking at best. Not to mention the look like they would be slippery to hold. Now I have never seen one in person so I may be wrong. Anyone else have an opinion on this.
    Vision.jpg Futur.jpg

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder" ;)
    Although the handle can be a bit slick at times, the Futur is, in my opinion & experience, a phenomenally-efficient and well-designed razor. It's modern styling and larger size may not be to everyone's tastes, but there's no denying Merkur has created a rather aggressive yet easy-to-use adjustable razor. No one is going to mistake it's appearance for a vintage Gillette—but I don't believe that was the intent of Merkur's design engineers.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

+1 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think both above mentioned are sleek and stylish. The Ferrari of razors..

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The Futur definitely appeals to me. Nice sleek lines. I have the matte finish and I don't find it slippery. The narrow part of the handle gives a pretty good grip actually. And it really is a great razor too. Works with just about any blade I throw in it and I've had some of my best shaves with it. The Vision doesn't do it for me though. It just seems complicated.

5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The Futur doesn't really appeal to me. I'm more of a vintage razor guy. It just seems too big, clunky, and not that nimble to me. I doubt I'll use one.

My favorites are: Gillette Slim, Gillette Rocket, Schick Krona, and Gillette Aluminum Tech.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Vision IS a beast. I'm a guy who likes larger razors, but I found the Vision to be almost ridiculous in size. The design/style of it I don't mind, but when using the razor, it felt like I was trying to shave with an industrial paint scraper. Now it did give me a very good shave, but for the cost ($150), there are other razors out there I'd rather have.
    [​IMG]

7. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Wow it is huge! I had not seen a side by side picture before.

macaronus likes this.
  8. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I don't like it appearance wise either. Looks too cold and futuristic-something an alien would use. It seems we have a few here:D

macaronus, HolyRollah and jpb437 like this.
  9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Your right, but think of the thoughts of friends/guests when they see that Vision sitting on the shelf in your bathroom!! Wow!

macaronus likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Kevin, that is an excellent comparison shot! Thanks for posting!

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Speaking for the alien viewpoint, I completely get that the appearance of both Merkurs gets a big 'thumbs-down' from many.
    Opinions taken on a predominately 'traditional DE wet-shaving' forum I would expect to lean towards a more 'traditional' look.
    I'm pretty certain that if a poll were taken at TSD as to which of these two razors 'looks better' that the results would favor the one on the left.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

True! For me the one on the left functions better as well!

macaronus, dscaver and HolyRollah like this.
  13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Same here! I shaved with one of those things on the right for far too long before I finally got fed up with the constant burn.

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

thanks, Gary. Many folks here may not have had a chance to actually see how big that Vision razor actually is.
    The Futur itself is a LARGE razor (see below next to some larger-than-normal razors. The Shake sharp in the middle is closer to the size of a standard vintage Gillete tech or super speed. But next to the Vision, the Futur looks almost petite...;)
    [​IMG]

Raven312, Tdmsu, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  15. Jim Winters

Jim Winters Member

Probably because I am so old that I used to play in new dirt, I think they are ugly as well. Stand out and distract from the beauty of the vintage Gillettes in my own collection which is where I want peoples eyes to go. Have not tried either though so can say nothing about performance. Kind of like people I suppose, ugly does not necessarily mean they do not perform well.......

BigMark, DaveL and macaronus like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just used my chrome Futur this morning, as a matter of fact. Love the looks, love the way it shaves. I've never had an issue with it being slippery; I just make sure I keep the soap off my hands. Contrary to what people say, a "wet" razor isn't necessarily slippery until you add the soap.

The Vision... I've never used one, doubt I ever will simply because of the cost.

17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've always been kind of OCD about wiping my hands after I get done lathering up.

macaronus likes this.
  18. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Before I found that I got terrific shaves from open comb type razors, I considered a Futur for a while.
    I looked at the Vision once, checked it's specs and that was it.
    I'm sure it is of good quality and many guys enjoy it, but because I'm not
    known for having good manual dexterity I was afraid that if it ever fell from the counter and landed on my foot I'd be crippled for weeks...

Jim Winters and macaronus like this.
  19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Though neither appeals to me as for looks, I *do* appreciate that they are great shavers (to many over here) and would like to lay my hands on each. if only to try them. :)

Raven312 likes this.
  20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I don't think they are ugly, necessarily, but certainly modern. I prefer the Muhle razors which are basically modern versions of traditional designs, so I'm a middle of the road, fence sitter on the aesthetics bit.

I've used a Futur but never a Vision; given how large the Futur was, I'm not sure how unwieldy the Vision would be for me.