Is it normal to have copper colored patches after cleaning Fat Boy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Recklesstr, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

I just grabbed a fat boy from an antique shop and it had some blackness on the handle some dirt and rust on the head and on the butterfly mechanism.
    After I came home, I laid the fat boy under bleach bath in a plastic case for 20 minutes to kill the germs and bacterias. Then, washed and rinsed it and put it under vinegar bath and poured instantly boiled water on it in the same plastic case for 5 minutes and washed it again. When I opened the butterfly mechanism I noticed a color change in the coating. Some parts of it especially junction points and far areas of the razor got a copper color.
    Was it because of vinegar usage with boiled water at 100 degrees celsius or because the rust is gone with the old ruined coating?
    Thanks in advance.

Before Cleaning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After Cleaning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The gold colour you're speaking of is called brassing which results when the razor begins to lose it's nickel plate..sort of like when I started going bald lol. The cleaning process has exposed the brass..not a big deal..some of us lose our hair. The only thing is that I see a fairly good plating from you're pics. The main thing is that the razor shaves smoothly and the adjuster works properly. With all adjustables one should always release the doors before making any changes in the settings. Enjoy your razor!..

3. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

As a bald man, I see no problem with losing some nice nickel plating then :) I got your point. I haven't got a chance to shave with my fat boy yet, but the adjuster works perfectly and the razor holds the blade tight and equal. Thank you Slipperyjoe.

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

As Geo Fatboy is fond of saying..'now you're ready to rock and roll with your razor'..:git:

Recklesstr likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Joe is right…the more you clean, the more nickel plating you'll lose, the 'brassier' the razor will become.
    Looks great now—so I'd go easy on any future cleanings!

Recklesstr likes this.
  6. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Ok, it's time to stop cleaning and start shaving. I'll be tender on future cleanings on this delicare fat boy :)

7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

It looks very nice

Slow Joe and Recklesstr like this.
  8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Just a word of caution for the new members reading this. No offense to the OP, but no razor really needs that severe a cleaning regimen, usually a bit of soapy water made with dish detergent and a toothbrush will do a very thorough job of cleaning, and a lot of guys use Scrubbing Bubbles instead of soapy water. I don't use Scrubbing Bubbles because I can't stand its smell. Bleach, vinegar and boiling water can damage the finish on some razors.

One other thing to keep in mind is that it's the blade that cuts you and can introduce nasties into the bloodstream, not the razor. I don't think anyone would use that extreme of a cleaning regimen on a blade prior to use.

Soapy water made with something like Dawn is generally good enough for or an eating utensil that is going directly into the mouth, it's going to also clean most razors just as well.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

That razor looked "GREAT" before your cleanup... Now it looks freakin mint!! You did a real good, if somewhat overboard job of cleaning.. The color change is brassing as nothing on the razor will rust other than if a carbon steel blade was left in the blade pan.. Enjoy your razor...:happy088:

Recklesstr likes this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

After I've cleaned a new "find", I'll run it once through the dishwasher. Got that idea from a Razor Emporium video. Comes out nice and sparkly ✨!

Jayaruh, tuxxdk and Recklesstr like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Agreed. Vinegar is an acid and can cause the plating to flake off where it is weakened. I have seen many people ruin their razors with the combination of super hot water and vinegar. I avoid the use of vinegar as much as possible and stick with the methods above unless their is a lot on internal gunk and then hot water is used.

mxsloan, Recklesstr and Slipperyjoe like this.
  13. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you for your answers gentlemen. Lesson learned. Avoid vinegar, dishwasher is also a good cleaning method (a science teacher also advised me to use a dishwasher for sterilization,too) and no more carbon blades for this razor (I don't have any, btw). I was anxious about these copper/gold colored areas get rusty in time, but now I see it was a vain anxiety :)

Jayaruh and Omelmad like this.
  14. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

Good find on the fatboy! Enjoy it!

Jayaruh and Recklesstr like this.
  15. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you!

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Great idea.

Any downside, with regard to an adjustable?

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looks great, enjoy your shaves. What's the date code on that beauty?

Recklesstr likes this.
  18. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you. It's a 1959 fat boy, the date code is E4.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Seeing these pics makes me miss my FB. ;) Mine was a 1st Qtr 1960 model. Loved the feel & weight of that razor. One of my favorite Gillettes.

Recklesstr likes this.
  20. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

The razor still looks fantastic. have you used it yet?