Is it safe to use?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DragonBoy, Jun 4, 2009.

1. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I got myself another cool vintage shaving stick today, an old Swedish stick called Bris (breeze). The package claims it has germ-killing properties and when I read the "small-print" I found that it contains:

di-(3,4,5,-triklor-2hydroxifenyl)metan.

Does anyone know this substance, is it safe to use this soap? Or has we found out the last 30-50 years that this is harmful. Its quite an old soap..

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I don't know anything about it being unsafe, but it's an environmentally harmful (water polluting) substance.

//edit: The chemical structure is very similar to the widely-used triclosan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triclosan) which I absulutely despise. I wouldn't use it and I wouldn't recommend doing so.

3. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Thats not good - to the shelf with it. It still looks cool!

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hey, buddy--you know the most of these old vintage sticks are safe. Use, and enjoy!

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I would like to but I didnt like KlausĀ“s response about it being a water pollutant.. I think it will stay on the shelf as a cool thing to oogle..

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, Thomas, if you use it once or twice a year it won't hurt you or the environment. I just would be wary to use it every day over a period of a week or longer.

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

:D Then I just do that.. Since its a one of a kind sort I be using it sparingly anyways..

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Pics, please! :D

Oh, and you know it's going to be the best scented and lathering soap you've ever come across....

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thomas, my Gilot stick from France is also vintage, and the damn thing is ok!

10. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Here goes..

Attached Files:

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

I'd even say that washing one whole stick down the drain all at once probably wouldn't have any impact on the environment. It's when we have 10's, 100's, 1000's of thousands of users on a daily basis, the production runoff from the factory of excess product, it constituent components, and by-products, that hits the environment. Since this is no longer in production, that's not a worry.

Now let's talk about boycotting triclosan soaps that are being made today... :)

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I wasn't primarily concerned about the environments because of the same arguments you listed. I was, however, more concerned for the health of the user of said soap :D

13. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

triclosan is in nearly every antibacterial soap out there.

14. Has anyone heard from Dragonboy lately ? ;)

15. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Im around.. Have been the busy bee lately though.. I trying to get my camera to work to be able to take photos of my den..

And I havent tried the Bris stick yet - saving it for some special occasion..