Is Straight Razor really superior to a Shavette?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Oskar Gustavsson, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I have now actively shaved with a Shavette (Bluebeards and Parker) for a year. In December I am turning 18 and was thinking about getting a real Straight Razor. However is it really superior to what I already have? I have a hard time to belive that I can get a Straight Razor as sharp as a razorblade. I mean, I don't want to get dissapointed when I finally get to use a straight razor and then finding out that I am much more pleased with the performance of the Shavette, especially after I have spent hundreds of bucks.

However if Straight Razors are superior, which ones would you recommend for me? I wont go above 400$ range, this is included the strop. Also when I get a Straight Razor, will I have to get it sharpend beyond just stropping it?

However have a nice day!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Whippeddog.com, Larry has some functional razors. Not pretty but has a shaving edge for about 28 bucks,sight unseen and a poor man's strop for about 25. Just to see if you like it and if you don't it's not a huge loss.
    Anthony Esposito, can find him on Facebook's, sells Gold Dollar razors and a beginners strop for cheap. Can't remember actual price but it was below 100 if I can remember right.

lindyhopper66, Paul76, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

What is best is always going to be what works best for you. A true straight razor has a maintenance commitment that is not for everyone. The only way to decide if it is for you is to walk the path for a while. Personally a good razor for you is one that is in good condition made by a manufacture with a reputation for good quality and you think is super cool. I would stick with a half to full hollow with a width of 5/8or 6/8 and a round point. As long as you do not have a spike point it should be ok. The round points are a little more forgiving but you have been using a shavette style razor you will likely have less challenges adapting. There are some technique changes. Most people report that less angle on a straight as opposed to a shavette. I would also think a strop with a replaceable leather component would be handy. You would not be the first person to nick the heck out of your first strop.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    lindyhopper66, Paul76, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Well said. I can’t add a thing. Have fun!

6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

All Shavettes..The DE Type Ones in Particular are a Different Animal to a Traditional SR..As Far as Sharpness Goes..I Personally Can Sharpen an SR Probably as Sharp as a Factory Blade..But..Not that I Would Want to..A Traditional SR in My Humble Opinion Offers a Sharp & More to the Point a Very Comfortable & Forgiving Shaving Edge..If its Been Honed in Capable Hands..:)

I Used a Shavette for a Wee While & it Never Helped Me with the Shaving Skills that are Required to Use a Traditional SR..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A properly-honed straight razor does require a daily commitment from the user. Not so with the shavette.
    Shavettes are, indeed, very sharp. SHARPNESS is, however, only part of the shaving equation. A razor's edge can be incredibly sharp, yet provide an uncomfortable shave for the user.
    I find SRs to be considerably more comfortable to use than shavettes, but your experience may differ.

8. swarden43

Not necessarily. I've only used my str8s on Saturdays since I began str8 shaving. Did it take longer to get my technique down? Sure. But I still made it to the point of getting excellent SR shaves without using a str8 daily.

lindyhopper66, Paul76, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I agree with all of the above

In addition

SR's are infinitely adjustable, more so than every other shaving system

This however is a Double Edge Sword (pun intended)

For a beginner that adjustability makes for a steep learning curve
    For a more experienced user it makes for the most "Comfortable" shave possible

:D

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Since I am TSD's only regular posting shavette user...

The results are exactly the same as traditional SR. Straights are not better or worse in any way, they are just a similar yet different tool. I can use both equally well, but vastly prefer shavette for its ease of maintenance. The main difference is the shavette blades are sharper and thinner, and require more care and have less margin for errors that traditional SR. People who profess that shavettes are harsh and don't produce great shaves simply haven't mastered the tool.

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree with "The Scottish Ninja". Shavettes, for me, are unforgiving, and just plain not fun. Straights are forgiving, and can be sharpened just as sharp as a modern DE blade. Plus, Straight Razors have some nostalgia behind them, not so for Shavettes.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

True, somewhat. But, each face is different, and reacts to different shaving tools in different ways. I have skin and whiskers that are very very prone to irritation, as well as ingrown hair. Straight razors have eliminated this problem, that has plagued me for over 30 years. Each person has different experiences, that is why we all have our favorite shaving tools.
    Cheers.
    :eatdrink047:

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

internet  fght.jpg /intermission
    Having used both shavettes & straights I could offer an opinion. Our OP is going to need to try a straight and make up his own mind. Ok, back to the "discussion"?
    /end intermission
    internet fight.jpeg

wristwatchb, Dansco, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  14. Thank's for all the great replies. Straight Razor seems really interesting, although as some pointed out that they typically don't get as sharp as a new razorblade. Does anyone have any tips on a great first Straight Razor? I was looking at the Dovo Bismark which looks truely beautiful! Will that work? :)
    [​IMG]

lindyhopper66, brit, Orville and 9 others like this.
  15. swarden43

Dovo is a good brand. I have a Dovo Astrale my wife gave me for Christmas a few years back. Glen, aka TSD member @gssixgun, sharpens it for me when needed. Great guy to work with. He has a few blades for sale on his site http://gemstarcustoms.com/index.php/for-sale.html. You'll be getting a razor guaranteed to be shave ready. Many of us have dealt with Glen, if you need more references.

Spyder, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Dovo SRs are Nice Shavers..BUT..They Don't Come Shave Ready from the Factory..So..Either Get it Honed or Ensure the Vendor Selling it has Honed it that is Reputable ..One or the Other..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder, mrchick, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"A properly-honed straight razor does require a daily commitment from the user. " :o
    I wasn't clear in posting what I was intending to say. :o
    I meant to imply the care of the straight razor's edge requires regular maintenance by the user, not to imply one must use the SR everyday. My apologies for the lack of clarity.

Dansco, Spyder, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another one caught by the allure of gold & shiny! :D:D

Dansco, Spyder, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  19. swarden43

Gotcha. So true.

Dansco, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  20. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

If you are doing well with your shavettes, a straight is probably a big waste of time and money.

Bama Samurai, mrchick and Billyfergie like this.