Is Straight Razor really superior to a Shavette?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Oskar Gustavsson, Nov 2, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've always liked the looks of that razor of yours.

mrchick, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Steve; I agree with you, and here is a link:
    http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/
    He hones his razors at no extra cost on a coticule. Really good prices too. He can be a little opinionated and crotchety. He’d fit in well here ;)

3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I think that while a shavette offers convenience the real reason behind them was the legal stuff that prohibited barbers from using regular SR's. SR shaving is traditional shaving in its purest form and that is where the real interest is. So yes a certain amount of maintenance is required. Satisfying for some a bother for others. Get a less expensive shave ready razor and a strop from someone with a good reputation before going all out.

Billyfergie, mrchick and Keithmax like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I agree, I also bought my Bismarck and several other razors form Superior Shave. All my razors had excellent edges and his very non-CONUS friendly.

Billyfergie, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Used mine today and had a great shave

ID - 1.jpg

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Mine is stropped and laid out for tomorrow’s shave. I know I’ll have a great, smooth, fantabulous “Bismarck Shave”. :D

3102A277-E891-4AAD-B375-4D359E31BC4B.jpeg

7. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I know my Bismarck’s are excellent shavers and take a great edge from any of the finishers I have. So that’s what I’m using tonight. Older and not as shiny C683E7DC-4E10-46BB-8260-1519078264B6.jpeg

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is all true. A well dressed SR edge, like one @gssixgun put on my Ralf Aust, feels incredibly soft and gentle against the face. I learned on traditional SR, but just simply didn't need another hobby involving razors and all that. Ergo, you'll never see me advise anyone on SR beyond how-to-shave-and-strop. Everyone who has an interest in SR should definitely try one. Both Shavette and SR will punish newbies, but the ability to shave with an open blade is a very rewarding experience, as you well know. The fun factor on shavette would show up pretty quick if you dedicated to it for a few days. It's simply a bit more tedious until the user gets the right "feel for the bevel on the face" that is required for good SR shaves. But for the SR collector who self-hones, there's not a lot of point to shavette. For me, it's the best way to have the open blade experience, and may go back to SR at some point when I can go "all-in" with it.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

When was the last time you used your straight??

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Couple of months ago.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

12. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Last post on this was Nov. 5, but I have enjoyed the conversation and thought I'd pitch in.
    I have a shavette (a cheap one; $20+/-), and use it in rotation with my straights. I get a great shave from it, but I would not confuse shaving with it and shaving with a straight. Mine takes the broken DE blades, and I can tell you that I can definitely tell that it's a DE blade when shaving with it. IMO, fwiw, the shavette has a "mechanical feel" to the shave. That is a purely subjective opinion.
    The straight is much smoother, more graceful in feel. For me.
    They are definitely different.
    Since I have only the cheapo shavette, I think I need to stress that, but for me the biggest difference in the straight is that it was crafted by someone"s hands. My blades are vintage, and I have many full hollow grinds. Some of them were ground by a Master Grinder, because it would take someone like that to grind so thin a blade without destroying it.
    For me it's the history and craftsmanship that went into that blade that makes them preferred. To me, the shavette cannot compete with that aspect, no matter how finely made; nor would I spend anywhere near the money on one I might on a straight, for the same reason. Although truth be told I prefer to find my straights "in the wild" and restore them to working order, so that is probably a moot point.
    But I get a fantastic shave with my shavette.
    However, if I were to not have access to straights, I would sooner turn back to my DEs and SEs than shave daily with the shavette I own. Those shaves are also much smoother and graceful in feel than those off my shavette.

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Very informative post! :happy088:

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Billyfergie

They are a Jazzed Up Gold Dollar I Believe..Made in the Gold Dollar Factory..Horrible things..One Hell of a Price..I Honed One & the Scales are Cheap & Heavy & Horrid..For that Kinda Money You will Get a New Dovo or an NOS Vintage SR..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

16. With other words, the Bismarck is a better choice :happy005:

Dansco, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  17. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Ooooooh, Japanese steel! LOL

Spyder, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  18. Hi again, On 29th of December I went and aquired my first Cut-throat razor which ended up being a Solingen, not the Bismarck though, since it didn't feel right in my hand. I got home and stropped it as good as I could and tried to shave, and to my dissapointment it was horrible. I handed it to a friend which has quite a lot of knowledge regarding knifes, unfourtuantely he did not have any stones with a fine enough grit. Later on he bought a new stone with a fine grit, sharpend the knife and handed it back over. I can't really say that I am really satis fied with the performance, although not as bad as previously, it is not the experience that I get with my shavette. Is there anything I can do or is this simply how cut-throat razors compare to shavettes?[​IMG]

DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  19. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Honing a razor to shave ready is not the same thing as getting a knife sharp enough to shave a few are hair. I would suggest that having it honed by someone that has experience shaving with and honing straight razors. Sharp and shave ready is not the same thing.

mrchick, Dansco, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  20. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Yeah That..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

lindyhopper66, Dansco and DaltonGang like this.