Is Suehiro a good brand of honing stone?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by IrateIrishman, Oct 19, 2020.

1. IrateIrishman

IrateIrishman New Member

Hi,

New to straight razor shaving. Just wondering if this is a good brand. I know it's not a naniwa. I'm planning on getting a 8000/12000 combo stone off Amazon and a flattening stone.
    I'll get a 3k stone and a 1k from my local hardward store. Shipping and customs is a pain in the balls in Korea. Has anyone used the suehiro brand of stones before? Are they any good?

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi I’m in Seoul too. You can order some stones here locally but when you search the internet you need to use Korean key words 숫돌 8000 on Naver our Gmarket. I haven’t had any problems with customs in Korea. You just need to respond with your name and ID to get the through customs which usually takes one day.

I have a Suehiro Gokuymo 20k and it’s excellent.

Edison Carter, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Keithmax

I forgot to add if the stones you want aren’t in Korea you can order them from Japan as the shipping will cheaper and faster than from the US or Europe.

Edison Carter, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  4. IrateIrishman

IrateIrishman New Member

Thanks Keith.
    The Customs ID is the problem. I've tried multiple times to get one, but the site shits the bed at the very last step. Unfortunately some of the items I've tried to buy are stubborn and refuse to take my passport number as proof and will only process with the customs id. I might have better luck using your suggestion of 솟돌. What korean term do you use when buying a finishing stone? Thanks again mate.

Edison Carter likes this.
  5. IrateIrishman

IrateIrishman New Member

Forgot to mention, I'm in 태안 as well

6. Keithmax

Do you have a foreigner ID number?

I did a quick search and I can not find Suehiro stones domestically. I did find Naniwa and Shapton (ceramic and glass). I mostly use Shapton glass stones, I have 4k, 6k and 16k. They cut fast and produce a very nice edge. Unless there is some serious problems with the edge I can use the 4k to set a bevel, if there is a serious issue I use a Naniwa 1k. I rarely have to set bevels so I mostly use a finishing stone.

I found this site which has a good selection of stones:

https://www.knifemall.co.kr/product/s_main01.html?cate_no=611

I says that if you order by 2pm they will ship that day, I do not see any reference to overseas shipping so there should not be a problem with customs. The prices look reasonable.

7. IrateIrishman

IrateIrishman New Member

You're a lifesaver. Thanks very much sir. Have you been here long?

8. Keithmax

I have been here 19 years, so a long time. How about you? What are you doing out in the countryside?

9. IrateIrishman

IrateIrishman New Member

I've been here since April 2019. Just here teaching English. I would have tried going to Busan but after thr corona virus happened I realised my steady paying job with EPIK was secure and I get paid every month regardless.