Is Talc Harmful To Health?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Garden Street USA, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Garden Street USA

Garden Street USA New Member

Hey guys. I use Clubman-Pinaud talc all the time on my body after a shower. Anyway, I read things about talcum powder being harmful to our health, talc being a carcinogen, etc etc etc. Tell me, is this true? Do we have any doctors in the house? haha. I'd like to know,for who knows how much of this stuff I throw around the bathroom in the morning haha. Let me know. I'm a nervous-nelly. Also, how safe is the styptic pencil (which I love)? Mike (note----the reason I ask so many questions is because I've gotten more and more into all-natural, organic products.)

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

yes, it's supposed to be. I use it all the time, too, though. I think the biggest problem is that it's not being studied or regulated by the FDA so no one really knows how dangerous it is. I hold my breath when the stuff is flying about, though, just in case. :)

3. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

My limited understanding is that talc is only dangerous 1) if inhaled regularly or 2) if used on a woman's lower private area. Remember, though, my knowledge is limited in this area.

4. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

Talc is not harmful in the least unless used improperly. It is not carcinogenic, nor has it ever been. There was recently a nice discussion about this on another shave forum, so PM if you'd like the link. (Some folks get all "huffy" when I link to B&B. :rolleyes:)

5. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

My GF's makeup powders are talc-based; I enter her bathroom with a gas mask.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Most talcs are just corn starch now and days, not talcum powder. However I did google Pinaud's talc ingredients and it does contain talc.

What wiki has to say on talc.

7. Garden Street USA

Garden Street USA New Member

Two Questions regarding Talc

Thanks guys. Two questions: 1. How do you use talc improperly? 2. You say it's dangerous on a woman's genital area, but what about a man's? Not to get too personal, but sometimes in the summer I throw some in my boxers and rub it around down there to lessen moisture and chafing. Mike

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

1) Dont huff talc. Dont close your self in small rooms and start shaking an open talc container while doing jumping jacks. People find stupid ways to use everything. I'm suprised toilot paper doesnt come with directions.

2) Look at your genitals. Look at your wifes genitals. 1 hole vs 2. You're separation to your man junk working parts is well within your abdomen. You're wifes got a straight track to the baby oven.

9. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Don't breathe the powder and you should be fine.

10. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Oooo. And wash your hands after touching your junk. And dont lick them after either. You should be A OK.

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh, my God--if talc is in the air, I choke so bad, I can fall on the floor. It can severely damage me.

12. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Laboratory tests have been known to cause cancer in rats.
    If you're a rat in a laboratory, consider yourself warned.

13. crackstar

My next door neighbour is think I am a rat! :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102

14. Adeptus_Minor

Mangez de moins de fromage et évitez les laboratoires :happy102

15. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

How about you just forget about talc?

Cornstarch is messy too and I'm sure it's not good to inhale.

Use deodorant down there.

Correction to above posting: Most powders sold are talc-based, not cornstarch-...

16. crackstar

Ohhhhhhh, ca fait plaisir de rencontrer quelqu'un qui parle francais! Merci de m'avoir conseille, c'est tres delicat! :)

17. Spk282

Spk282 New Member

I love finding this kind of stuff out lol. Only after something has been around for a while do we then say it is harmful to you, kind of like asbestos. I do though kind of have a rule if it isn't air and it is going into your lungs it is probably harmful.

18. Adeptus_Minor

Je parles un petit peu seulment, mais babelfish c'est mon ami. :o

19. crackstar

Mais tu fais l'effort--c'est l'essentiel, et je suis ravi de te connaitre! Comme mon anglais est pitoyable, un gentleman qui parle ma langue est tres bienvenu! :D

20. JimR

JimR Active Member

From Wikipedia:
    6 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 113 weeks.:rolleyes:

Talc is safe.

**EDIT** American cancer association links here and here.

In short? It might be linked to one type of ovarian cancer (which is one too many) but lung cancer? If you're a talc miner or miller, you MIGHT have an elevated risk of lung cancer. But then again, you might not.