Is the Semogue SOC good for bowl lathering?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by shave/brush, Dec 6, 2014.

1. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I have an Omega 10049 brush that I love but I hear so much about the Semogue SOC I am tempted to try it. I mostly bowl lather. I'd say I bowl lather 85% of the time. Is the SOC a good bowl lather brush also? It seems like it would be a good face lathering brush. What about bowl lathering?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There is no such thing as a "bowl" lathering brush or a "face" llathering brush. All brushes sold as shaving brushes will create a lather no matter which method you choose.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  3. shave/brush

Some brushes are better than others for this. Some are better for face lathering some are better at bowl lathering. Sure you can make lather with any brush but some are better than others. That is why there are $8.00 brushes and $300.00 brushes.

4. swarden43

I'll disagree. I have numerous brushes of various sizes, some large, some small. The all generate enough lather for 4-6 passes.
    I have an $8 dollar brush that performs as well as my $80 brush. I have no dobt there are many here who would agree that cost does not always correlate to how good (or better, to use your word) a brush is.
    "Better" is a subjective term.

178-bplatoon and dscaver like this.
  5. shave/brush

I have to disagree also. I have a Plisson Cade brush that for me is great for face lathering. I could never get the hang of using a shave stick until I tried my Plisson. I tried using a boar brush many times for face lathering and never got good results. Likewise my Muhle STF brush which I love is great for bowl lathering but for face lathering it's okay but it tends to drip and splash water all around. There is a difference in performance without a doubt. I'm not saying the cost makes a difference either. Some just work better than others.

6. swarden43

That's why I say there are only PERSONAL PREFERENCE brushes.

clint64 likes this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

And the different types for me at least require a different technique.

8. shave/brush

So does anyone like the SOC for bowl lathering?

9. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I think the SOC boar is a great brush for whatever you choose to use it.

Personally, for me, any brush can be used for both face and bowl lathering, but some of the ones with the longer handles do facilitate bowl-lathering.
    It is all a matter of personal preference.
    Good luck with your decision! :)

10. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Semogue brushes blooms a lot, Omega brushes at minimum
    Semogue give nice rich lather in the bowl good for photos too, Omega not so but in the face i prefer them.
    I have the Omega 10098, the SOC is a much different brush than this,the bristles are more friendly,blooms a lot,nice looking wooden handles plus logo.
    I suggest to buy it but keep in mind that in your face will spread more compared to your Omega and needs a lot of time for break-in period were as other members have said will manage to keep enough lather for 3 passes.

11. shave/brush

So you feel the Semogue SOC would do well for bowl lathering. I may give it a shot.

12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

It's very good in bowl lathering !

13. swarden43

Question - what brush is not good for bowl lathering?

14. shave/brush

I can make any brush work as you pointed out but some are definitely better than others. The Plisson gets a lot of love in most forums but I don't care for it when it comes to bowl lathering. I feel my Muhle STF does much better at bowl lathering.

15. swarden43

You have just found what works for you, thus it is what you prefer.

16. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

The Wee Scot does come to mind! :D

PanChango likes this.
  17. swarden43

Size of the brush makes no difference on the quality of the lather.
    It's all about the water/soap ratio when it comes to quality. Too much of one or the other and you don't get a good lather.
    Get the ratio right, even with a Wee Scot, and you've got good lather. Granted, maybe not the quantity you get with a larger brush, but still usable lather, be it whipped up in the bowl or on the face.

18. shave/brush

We have already said that one can make lather with any brush but it is all about the end result. If it's difficult to make a lot of good lather then it is not a good brush for it.

19. swarden43

Guess that depends on how much you need/want. No doubt it can whip up enough for one pass, and if that's all you need, then it's a good brush.

20. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I don't bowl lather often. When I do, it'a s Bill Bowl. And, yes, the SoC works just fine. The long-ish handle give me the needed depth and the wood reduces the clanking noise. Having said this, the SoC has a huge splay in use... love it or hate it. It has a greater tendency to push the lather up and out of the bowl, while the rolled lip on the Bill Bowl does what it can to contain the overflow.