Is there a soap for oily skin?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by grump, Jun 17, 2009.

1. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Hello,
    As a relative newbie, I was wondering if there was a soap formulated for oily skin?

Thank you
    Phil

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I don't know of any shave soaps especially formulated for oily skin. you might try Williams, see how that works.

3. Teiste

Teiste New Member

the same answer that for shaving creams:tea tree oil and clay.

4. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

No - so I highly recommend you wash your face with soap (not facial cleanser) and water prior to shaving, if you don't do so already.

Splash AS should be of assistance after...

5. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I agree. Also handmade soap with neem oil should help, but the scent gets some getting used to.

6. boyextraordinare

Honestly, the way to control oil is removing it via soap (and traditional splash AS you're a shaver).

That stripping the skin of its natural oils cues your body to pump out more sebum is an absolute myth, which can be proven by simply overcleansing your face.

Soap and water, man!

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Got proof?

I've stopped using soap on my face, and now have less outbreaks.

Check out the Oil Cleansing Method, Phil. It works.

8. boyextraordinare

Yes. Wash your face with soap and water over and over and over again and see how oily it is then...

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Another thing to think about with oily skin is using alum as an aftershave. I also have oily skin and find it to be the only thing that keeps my skin a little drier over time. I really don't think the soap makes a big difference. In fact, I really fond a Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) which is known to be very moisturizing compared to most soaps.

10. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of your replies.
    I have seen a few creams stating for oily skin, can't quit remember what they were but something like lemon and lime maybe?
    So that is why I asked the question. Thank you again for all of your replies.
    Phil

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Marketing Hype IMHO.

12. soapbuddy

Some essential oils like clary sage do have astringent properties, but it's only temporary.

13. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I went to an AOS store a few months ago and asked them about the the claims about the lemon soap being good for oily skin and sandalwood being for dry. The ummmm.......guy.....at the store told me it was an aromatherapy based deal where lemon inhibits the sebaceous glands and ..........yeah I stopped listening after that. BS if you ask me. However, I did buy the lemon because it seemed a good spring/summer soap at the time. I have fairly oily skin and I think this soap is pretty good for my skin. So BS marketing or not, I would recommend AOS Lemon.

14. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

I would say any of the soaps mentioned on this & other threads will be fine.

What I would say is use " normal" soap to wash your face before starting your routine. This will rid the old diamond of any excess oil which if left will interfere with the razor glide.

After shaving, rinse with cool water, pat dry & then use an alum block. Rinse this off with cool water, dry off & apply a good after shave balm or aftershave. Personally i would stay away from supermarket aftershave products with the exemption of aqua velva. That is an awsome product for the price.

Enjoy your shaves dude

15. soapbuddy

If you need something to help close the pores after shaving, I would go with something as simple as witch hazel. On hot days, mine stays in the fridge. It feels great!

16. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I was thinking about trying the TOBS Lemon and Lime. Thanks for the info.