Is there a stigma attached to patchouli?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Art Vandelay, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I don't know if it's the former pot-head in me or not, but God help me, I love patchouli. I'm certainly not the hippie type--I'm a regular young married dude with a respectable job, grownup hairdo and all. And I'm not talking about oil where the scent is really strong, I just really like TSD's patchouli rose and scents like that. I'm thinking of getting a soap or cream of that scent at some point.

Not that it ultimately means that much to me if there's a stigma--I'm going to wear what I like. But I was just wondering what the general consensus around here was.

2. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Isn't it supposed to be an aphrodisiac?

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmmm...
    Before finding TSD, I ordered some soap from Em's Place. One of the scents was called Woodstock (this is from her site, "Woodstock blend - Patchouli, Sandalwood, Balsam, Cinnamon and Ginger. Has a rich, earthy, woody herbaceous scent with a hint of spice. This masculine scent is appreciated by all patchouli and sandalwood enthusiasts with purifying skin care properties too.") I liked it so much that when it was gone, I ordered a small vial of the oil. I use 2-3 drops in unscented soaps such as KMF or VDH (yeah, I know it has its own scent, but that's easily overcome).

To be honest, I don't know if I've ever smelled pure patchouli, so I don't know if I would like that.

Stigma? I'm with you - wear what you like.

Chris S likes this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I like it. I think that the '60's are far enough back that there should not be much if any remaining stigma...

5. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

I had a friend that liked to burn Patchouli incense. I couldn't stand the stuff then. Now, it's different. It's still not one of my favorite scents. I wasn't even a thought in anyone's mind in the 60's so I certainly don't know anything about a stigma.

6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Well it's very good for covering up the smell of marijuana smoke, which is why it's associated with hippies. Anytime I smell it on a teenager with bloodshot eyes I know why they have it on. I guess what I'm wondering is, when you smell patchouli on someone, do you think "pothead"?

7. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

patchouli reminds me of hot summer days eating organic food in the commune. it reminds me of long road trips and we used it in place of a warm shower. but i still like the scent despite those memories

Chris S likes this.
  8. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Get off my lawn, ya damn hippies!!!

Actually, I quite like patchouli. I quite liked the 60s as well.

9. hornm

hornm New Member

I think it depends on who's smelling it. I'd been told that the Jovan musk I used to wear quite often smelled of Patchouli. I like the scent in moderation. A local shop - Escential lotions and oils has a patchouli blend and they also make a brushless shea butter shave cream that I like to keep on hand. I've thought of getting some scented with their house blend but usually get distracted by other things when I'm there so have yet to actually have it done.

Michael

10. Griz

Griz Member

It always reminds me of old hippies. I remember it from old friends covering up pot smoke and B.O. I never really liked the smell and it does have a stigma.

A younger friend of ours loves the oil and put a few drops in her bath water a couple of days before she came to visit and it was still going strong a couple of days later though she could no longer smell it. I think a little goes a long way with that stuff.

Will N.

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think it still has a strong stigma among older generations, but that is fading over time. I wouldn't dream of showing up at my dad's house wearing a strong Patchouli cologne - he'd think I was smoking something illegal (at least in most US states). But, I'd think little of it if a same generation co-worker was wearing the same.

Honestly though, I don't care for the scent.

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I used to smoke pot to cover up my patchouli problem back in the day.

Unfortunately I think there is a stigma, but who cares? If you aren't walking around high on weed then damn the haters. Its a scent. I used to use pine scented renuzit spray to cover up pot smoke too but there isn't an issue with pine. I say wear it if you like it and don't worry about it unless your pee can condemn you.

tomnat, Hanzo and southernscribbler like this.
  13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I don't really care that it was an old "pot covering" smell. What bothers me is anything that is patchouli scented is so overbearingly scented that it gives my wife an instant headache and I will get one as well after an hour or so. I received a sample of patchouli soap from a vendor once and had to seal it within multiple zip locs and then in container with a twist lid and seal before it stopped being offensive to the wife. Again, nothing to do with hippies or pot, it is just a scent that is over applied far too often

If I walk near a student that douses on axe to the point my eyes are watering, my first thought isn't that he is covering up pot. My first thought is that my lungs and eyes are burning and to get away.

ChemErik likes this.
  14. DE_Dude

DE_Dude New Member

I missed the 60s by a few decades, so I never realized patchouli had the hippie connection until I started reading shave forums. I think Nag Champa might be the new patchouli...!

15. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

LOL That's my son!
    To me it does reminisce the days of the hippies and the sixties and early 70's. There is something a bit deeper now that I think of what the scent is to me. It holds an another, older, spiritualistic sense of calm. It harkens me back to the National Geographic reels of the Hindu Monks in their rituals in the darkened rooms of their chapels. Almost as a passage from one realm into another plane. A very calm reverent place for deep thought and meditation. A very old, if not ancient scent along with sandalwood among a few others that I can't spell properly. Kind of the same odor as walking into an older book store or library, where you can smell the wisdom in the old pages of the mountain of books. Ok, I'm finished rambling now.

Stigma, sure! But if YOU like it, wear it proudly!

tomnat and battle.munky like this.
  16. supe

supe Active Member

I like it in moderation. Stigma? you bet! the first time I used it as an aftershave one of my co-workers said" damn you smell like you've been to a head shop". however, i've noticed that women seem to appreciate it more than men.

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Bob...you killin' me, again...lol
    I also think there might be a thing about the "head-shop" smelling patchouli...But 'p' can behave in many ways depending on the other ingrediants and how its blended...

I know my Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT has patchouli as an ingrediant, and it smells like anything but a head-shop...maybe something Prince Charles would have used after playing polo in the '60's...or Sean Connery used while sipping a single malt...But not a head shop...lol

The Queen of Blades could really explain the Patchouli scent and it's many faces...I know it was used in some of the finest perfumes and colognes long before the Hippy Vibe was a part of our culture...It's only the head-shop insensey "p" scent that I think conjures up the "covering up the pot smell" memories....And if someone has "covering up the pot smell" memories then maybe they would dig a stroll down memory lane...:) or maybe not...lol

Bottom line...and kind-of a "Golden Rule" concerning many things around here is what Steve said..."...wear what you like" or "Enjoy it your way"

battle.munky likes this.
  18. Mel_B

Mel_B New Member

I love the scent of patchouli a LOT. I really like scents that have it blended into them, but can handle it straight up as well.
    Two of my bosses wear patchouli oil sometimes, and we are in a somewhat corporate, professional environment.

Patchouli really seems to amplify on my skin though - if I wear a scent that has patchouli in it, it tends to eventually creep up over the other scents and dominate. Not that I mind!

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I like patchouli as a rule but depending on the brand of the oil, I notice it can smell like dirt or earth. I like it either way but the nice smell of it I like more than the dirt.

20. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I remember back in the early 70's when we used to burn patchouli. Then I would use the oils that ran out around the cone and rub them on me. Very strong smell. And yes, it does remind me of the old pot smoking days. Since then I have upgraded to Sandlewood, works just as well!