It came it came it finally came!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by txskimo, Apr 18, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to find more information about it. It's stamped Genco Henry XX. I'll post back after my shave. [​IMG]

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Looking forward to hearing how it worked out for you

emmijack likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yep, there it is. Good luck.

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Nice! Enjoy the shave. Are doing just face, or your head too?

5. txskimo

Such a disappointment. I'm not sure what the issue was but the blade tugged like no other and I finally just grabbed the slim to finish shaving. Prep wise everything was the same and got a really nice lather from Arko so I wouldn't think that was the problem. The instructions said NOT to strop it before first use....maybe that's where I went wrong? Yes it was a disappointment but it gives me something to look forward to working on so that's the positive I'll take away from today. Only one small nick on my neck and that was because I kept feeling like I had to force the blade to shave any hair.

@Drygulch I'm letting my hair grow back out at the moment so just shaving the face. If I had this much problems with that I would hate to have seen how a head shave turned out.

6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

That sucks. Are you going to strop it and try again?

txskimo likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sucks.
    Did you tighten your skin with your other hand?
    Also, maybe try a soap with very high slickness

8. txskimo

Tomorrow yes. I think since I got called to work tomorrow I'll wait until I get home so I don't feel rushed.

I did tighten my skin although everything felt awkward. Possibly part of the problem is I'm just not use to holding a straight. The shavette I used is pretty short so I was able to just extend it flat and use it like that if that makes sense. The straight however I have to fold and it just feels weird. Should I change soaps or keep everything the same to help narrow down where my problem is coming from? The first thing that comes to mind is the angle since I'm not comfortable with my grip yet.

Drygulch likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A complete guess:
    90% due to lacking in technique and confidence,
    10% soap slickness

Drygulch, emmijack and txskimo like this.
  10. txskimo

Absolutely. Like I said even though I was completely disappointed I'm very eager to learn to get it right.

Drygulch and emmijack like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I feel ya - I'm about to randomly throw in a week of shaving with my Thiers-Issard straight in the midst of months and months with safety razors. I'm feeling both excitement and fear :)

Drygulch, emmijack and txskimo like this.
  12. txskimo

I'd like to hear what you think especially going back to a DE. When I picked up the slim and started shaving it felt really awkward since I just had a straight in my hand. Not sure how to describe it but I'm curious if anybody else experiences this. I'd say it's similar to driving a fork lift all day then hopping in your car to go home. The steering is completely different and feels weird even though you've driven a car for a long time.

Have you used a straight at all? I don't recall ever seeing you post about shaving with one. If not there must be something in the Arko converting all of us lol.

Drygulch likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have but not so much as I feel I need to feel confident...

Drygulch and txskimo like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just so you know you're not alone in this experience.
    MY first dozen or so straight razor shaves were tuggy, not smooth, and resulted in a few clean cheek and jawline slices as I adapted to both the 3" blade length and deadly-sharp square point of my first straight razor.
    The razor I used was very sharp, definitely shave-ready—so any tugginess I had experienced had more to do with my learning a proper technique. A blade that is beginning to lose it's edge (or keenness) will begin to tug, but early on in the SR journey, it is often more about the novice operator than the tool itself.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. My first few str8 shaves were tuggy, as well. Technique. Hang with it, you'll get it!

16. txskimo

I figured as much. Looking back on it after watching several videos I probably brought my angle way out. I'd have to look back to when I joined the forum but I'm pretty sure my first DE experience was less than stellar as well I just really hoped I'd be good at straight razors the first go. Greatness doesn't come overnight I know, I know lol.

Drygulch likes this.
  17. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Glad you received your razor and had your first shave!!

Your first experience would be about right. A tad less than horrible to say the least. Most straight shavers have been there and it gets better. Practice makes perfect.

An alum block really helped my technique when I first started. Just rub your fingers on the block and then stretch your skin while shaving. The added traction helps strecthing the skin and prevents slipping. You can get them online realy cheap or at AOS for about $17. (I have only bought 1 in 5 years and only used about half of it).

Looks like you've done your homework, so keep up the good work!!

txskimo and Drygulch like this.
  18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
  19. txskimo

I had watched that before but in my excitement I think everything went out the window. You would rather have the spine to close to your face than not close enough correct? I know it's something I'm just going to have to figure out as I shave but I remember thinking the spine was to close so I pushed it out.

20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Pressure and angle are the two biggest issues when you start, also rushing into it, the cheeks the cheeks the cheeks, keep right there on the easy parts of the face until you get that working right..

Two spine widths away from the face is right about the sweet spot