It is official!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Sejanus, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Padron

Padron Active Member

+ another.. Congrats Ken :D It looks very nice ;)

2. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Purdy
    That is really nice stuff.

3. MD11

MD11 New Member

Tony makes the best strop. I've got a Latigo/Linen and a Horse/Linen and love both. My Dovo is nice, but it's simply too small!

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Gee, Ken...nice strop. Now all you need is blade to run across it! :D

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oooooohhhhhhhh....................:eek:

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Sorry, Ken, I couldn't resist. ;) But when you get your blade from Lynn, it will definitely do the job!

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I am waiting..waiting...waiting...

Hopefully next week. I am getting impatient now! The strop is sitting there.. waiting to be used..

I need SOMETHING to strop. Then shave with. :D

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

You could always break out a butter knife and start practicing your technique :D

J/k...I know waiting is tough....it will be worth it though ;)

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I haven't even received my first straight and I am already considering my 2nd! :rofl

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

LOL, in no time at all you'll have yourself a nice 7 day rotation :D

11. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

haha, I really hope to to be honest. ;)

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Uh oh... it is here! :D

My razor arrived today from Lynn. Going to need to give it a rinse before using it (he coated it in oil to protect it looks like).

Mwahaha!

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  14. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

post a picture! or did you post one in the Haul section?

15. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

This is it here as per the pic from Classic Shaving. I'll post my own tomorrow I think:

http://www.classicshaving.com/i/DOVO Razors/Bismark_Combined.jpg

I got the Black one. :D

I actually shaved today with it too. On Isaac's advice I skipped the strop to simply get a feel of it right after being sharpened. Considering it was my first ever Straight Shave it worked decently well. I really do need practice though, and I think a strop would have certainly helped, but my angle/grip might have been off too.

I cut myself once on the upper lip at the VERY end. Didn't gush and it took a few seconds to start bleeding so it wasn't too bad. Some Alum, a Styptic Pen and Polysporen/Band-aid later and I won't even know it happened. I'll probably shave my whole face (minus the lip) tomorrow with a DE and practice again on Friday. Next up is my first strop. :eek:

16. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

This is it here as per the pic from Classic Shaving. I'll post my own tomorrow I think:

[​IMG]

I got the Black one. :D

I actually shaved today with it too. On Isaac's advice I skipped the strop to simply get a feel of it right after being sharpened. Considering it was my first ever Straight Shave it worked decently well. I really do need practice though, and I think a strop would have certainly helped, but my angle/grip might have been off too.

I cut myself once on the upper lip at the VERY end. Didn't gush and it took a few seconds to start bleeding so it wasn't too bad. Some Alum, a Styptic Pen and Polysporen/Band-aid later and I won't even know it happened. I'll probably shave my whole face (minus the lip) tomorrow with a DE and practice again on Friday. Next up is my first strop. :eek:

17. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I was going to suggest a picture of your face too after your first shave, but it sounds like it went well.

I read last night a few ideas about stropping. One site said you should never strop after shaving. It seemed a bit strange, they said after you shave the blade was full of microserrations. Implying that it would damage the strop if you stropped right away. They go on to say that after 24-30 hours the metal settles back into place. They also suggested a two blade rotation to ensure the blade could rest between shaves. :confused: Is this right?????
    I'll post the website here in one second.

18. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Yeah I've heard of those sort of theories. I shaved straight from the honer this time to get an idea what it was like.

I won't be shaving with the straight until Friday, I'll use my DE tomorrow for clean up but I am not going BBS so I have something to shave.

Except for the one semi-big cut I am pleased!

19. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I got one across my right cheek and one below my left side burn. They didn't bleed or hurt but you could see and feel a gash. I have a straight coming from Bill next week, I can't wait to try it.