It was found in the ground!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe Nobles, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

So a couple of weeks ago my wife's friend stopped by and knowing of my interest DE shaving she presented me with a gift. It seem that while prepping her flower bed for the coming spring she found a Gillette Slim adjustable and she figured I would like to put it in my collection. Now this razor was really gunked up, My first step wast to blast it with WD 40, I then left it to soak over night in rubbing alcohol. After cleaning it up to the point to where everything was moving smooth and freely. I then let it sit and debated whether or not to use it, well yesterday I figured "why not?" So I loaded it up with a Rapira Platinum Lux (my favorite blade) lathered up with Porasso (red) with my Badger Hair brush and with the razor set to 3 (a random starting point) and crossing my fingers, shaved. Lo and behold, in one pass I got a BBS shave with no nicks, no tugging or pulling. It was a very nice shave. There was no sting from my alum block or my aftershave lotion.

This was the strangest way to get a great shave!

Anyway here are the pictures of my out of the ground Gillette Slim:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please share your thoughts on The Gillette Slim or an interesting way you got one of your razors.

mikewood, KenH, Jorvaljr and 11 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Cool, one of my other hobbies is metal detecting. I've wondered if I'd eventually find a razor.

Edison Carter and TobyC like this.
  3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,

That's a great story about the Slim. I'm glad the Slim was rescued. Sorry to say, I can't see the pictures. I just see a couple of Xs within a square.

capsfanx, brit, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  4. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Great save. I like making things useful again.
    Unfortunately, I can't see the pictures either.

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Dead and buried! :sick002:

And then....

Resurrection!!! :happy096:

Try that with one of those zinc razors. :p

I can't see the pix either. :(

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Something like a GEM 1912 would have made more sense, it's a "hoe" type razor! ;)

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup the ole face hoe.

I have a valet auto strop that was found under a house. Still works great!!
    @Joe Nobles great story!

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I live in a small city though it's the largest in my parish (that's what we call counties here in Louisianan). Our population is around 75K. Having exhausted the supply of vintage razors here I started visiting other places close by. Fifteen miles west in a smaller town of 20K inhabitants I found an antique store and purchased a couple TTO Gillettes. On a subsequent visit to the same shop, The fellow was there stocking new items in his section of the store. Not wanting to crowd him I looked at other stalls the the shop while having conversation with him. We discussed where we came across interesting items - garage & estate sales, eventually getting to the subject of trash piles and dumpster diving. I admitted having been taught about that from an early age. People throw away amazing useful stuff! He shared how in reaching for an item in a large commercial dumpster he lost his balance and fell in head first. We shared a chuckle in the back of the store. When he finished stocking his new inventory I asked if there was a way to know if he put out more vintage shave gear, maybe get his number or a business card. When I got close enough to see the embroidery on his denim shirt I could read "City of..." Turns out he's the mayor of an even smaller village (population 3,300) another fifteen miles down the interstate. He seemed a little embarrassed having just admitted to taking a headed into a dumpster, but I assured him I'd keep it between friends. That antique store has since closed it's doors having lost it's lease, but they reopened in another location shortly there after. I'll never forget my Mayberry moment shaking hands with a Mayor I'd bought a Fat Boy from!
    SOTD 10302015.gif
    Photo from October 30, 2015. Still have that razor and enjoy M&L Florida Water AS-Cologne. Somewhere in the back of the cabinet the dish of VDH soap is still around. I PIFed the VDH boar brush to a buddy as part of his starter set. I started my Wet Shave Journey with a shavette, then a WD sight unseen SR. DE's came later.

KenH, brit, wristwatchb and 12 others like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Great story!
    :signs021:

RyX likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Great story to go along with a great find! Does you friends wife have any idea whose razor it may have been? Any idea of past residents of the house? :happy088:

RyX likes this.
  11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Dig around some more, disgruntled wife may have buried some guys whole collection!

brit, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:happy102:

Enrico likes this.
  13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Excellent. Another one saved!

TobyC likes this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I hope it wasn’t 6 feet under.

:p

wristwatchb and Edison Carter like this.
  15. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Ha!

Edison Carter likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Before and After pics? Must have!

I remember the one on ebay a few years back, that I think the description said was found in a lake. Fatboy, iirc. I bid on it but it went pretty high. Never heard how it turned out.

17. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I found a Marine K- Bar knife in a flower bed once.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Wife was either trying to weed with it or hide the murder weapon.

Not good either way.

19. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Someone may have shaved with that too.

20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

That story sounds fishy to me. :innocent