It's All in the Blade..

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Adonis, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Flying Eagle – BAD. Just bad. :happy102: True, too true! :happy097:

Adonis likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice write up. No Ladas...:eek:

Adonis likes this.
  4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I have to say, although YMMV, your assessment matches mine pretty well for the ones I've tried.

Adonis likes this.
  5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I agree with you on the ones I have tried. My daily blade is the Feather specifically for the reasons you stated. VERY sharp and smooth, but you better pay attention, and I recommend a light touch.

Adonis likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Very nice article..:) I simply have to try the Silver Blue Blade. You may want to give the Vikings Sword a try, it's an Israeli blade made in the Personna plant.

Adonis likes this.
  7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Interesting review, though the lack of Bic and Bolzano makes me sad. :(

Adonis likes this.
  8. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Recently tried Personna Blue Lab blades and wasn't impressed. Sharp but too many bites. Astra SP is still the blade for me.

Adonis likes this.
  9. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Flying Eagles, I recently got in a cheap fish tank scraper. Couldn't believe it when I saw them being sold to shave with. I had a job cutting a piece of paper I tried on it! I've really sorted my prep and I'm on seven shaves and counting with an Astra SP. They are really comfortable unlike every blade I tested, didn't tug once. Only two I want to try are Feathers and Silver Blues.

Adonis likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Glad to see someone else likes Blue Birds. Haven't had any in a few years but they always treated me well, putting me in a minority of maybe 2 other guys at the time. And I wholeheartedly agree that, for the most part, "the blade's the thing." (Shakespeare said that)

Good writeup!

Adonis likes this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Very good info! I've been using Astra SP's for a while now, but you've peaked my interest in the Personna Reds and the Silver Blues. Guess it's off to the "store"? Thanks.

Adonis and Radiotube like this.
  12. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Love my Silver Blues. I've got an order for some others to try out due to arrive soon. I wish I had seen your review first. I may have added a few others to try.

Adonis likes this.
  13. Alohashirt

Alohashirt New Member

Astra SPs have been my "learning technique" blade for several months. Now that I have some skills, I'm wondering if I can get something slightly sharper without going all the way to Feathers. How would you compare Astra SPs to Red Personnas? Worth switching, or are they about the same?

Adonis likes this.
  14. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I will put them on my list :)

15. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Bolzano is on my list. In the beginning I was told to stay away from Bic, so never got any lol

16. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Yes the Astra SPs are my go-to blade :)

17. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

There's always "next" order ;)

Radiotube likes this.
  18. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! You keep me motivated! :wave:

Radiotube likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nice work...I love Silver Blue and am going to try Voskhod!

Adonis likes this.
  20. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

It's a real close race between the Astra SP and the Personna Red, with the slight edge to Personna. The Reds are a tad bit sharper IMO but the Astras are a bit more forgiving. But I'm talking by tiny amounts. You could interchange those blades and probably not notice any real difference in your shave. At least in my shave LOL

Radiotube likes this.