It's Never Too Late To Start, Right?

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Lockback, Dec 12, 2022.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

@Lockback, welcome to The Shave Den! Like you, I got into DE shaving because of high priced cartridges. I’ve pretty much stayed true to my original goal of saving money, but did acquire a few razors, brushes, and blades initially until I found what I liked, but never spending crazy money. I gifted a few razors and got down to 7 total, 3 that I use regularly, 2 Gillette adjustables and a Gillette Tech for travel. I heartily recommend a good synthetic brush. I bought one initially because of their quick drying attribute for occasional business travel, and found I absolutely loved it. Builds incredible lather with any soap or cream.

Lockback and brit like this.
  2. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

Thanks for some (still more) great advice. I am learning like an AI supercomputer here. :D
    The Voskhods are queued up for my next shave. My experience with the Derby Extras so far (3 shaves) is quite positive, a quantum leap over the Van Der Hagen blades that came with that razor. And my technique improves each time. Like everyone, I have a couple of trouble spots that I have to go over and I'm getting the hang of that now, improving each time. And I managed to do a really good job on my neck this morning with no cuts.:happy096:
    It really is an interesting learning experience. I have a lot of interests and this one came out of nowhere but now has a firm grasp on me. It's a wonderful combination of old technology (I love history) but with modern results at a great price ... unless you catch the gear acquisition bug.
    Judging by my past in other pursuits, I am not vaccinated against such things.;)

PLANofMAN, Enrico and wristwatchb like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The nice thing about wet shaving as a hobby, is even after years of collecting, a full collection of stuff fits into a couple of boxes.

Unlike, say, a collection of vintage hand woodworking tools.

Lockback likes this.
  4. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

Or, in my case, guitars and firearms. :rofl:
    Well, the small 2-razor collection just grew by another one: a Rockwell 6C in Gunmetal Chrome.
    I ordered to today as a Christmas present to myself. Luckily, I already bought my wife something!
    I really like both the Van Der Hagen TTO and the Edwin Jagger DE89 but would like the ability to have an adjustment (for instance a little more aggressive around my jaw line). I really like what I've read about this particular razor and it's currently on sale on their website with free shipping. No brainer. :happy093:

wristwatchb and Enrico like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. On your razor you might get the best results with sharper blades than what you listed. Mild razors like the Van Der Hagen TTO work best with sharper blades. If you don't find a satisfactory blade in your sampler pack try either a Bic Chrome Platinum, Feather, Gillette Nacets or any Kai branded blades. They are some of the sharper blades you can buy.