It's official, I'm a Synthetic Brush guy now

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gwsmallwood, Aug 7, 2015.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

After trying out my 3rd snythetic brush this morning, I decided I no longer like boars. I don't really like my lone badger either. For those of you who are interested, I'll take you through my brush journey below, but as of right now I have 3 synthetics that I plan to keep, 2 more that I want to buy, and possible one badger. I head lather in hard water, and the synthetics feel better, dry faster, and load easier than the boars or my badger.
    -Omega S Brush
    -Whipped Dog 30mm / 57mm loft synthetic
    -Asylum Brush Works Scanlon synthetic
    -Planned - Stirling 26mm synthetic
    -Planned - Chiseled Face 28mm synthetic knot
    -Planned - Whipped Dog 30mm Silvertip Badger (maybe)

I started out with the VDH black handle boar. I thought it was ok until I picked up my Omega 10066. So much better. Then I got a TGN super badger in a PIF. I can use it, but the knot and loft sizes were never to my liking. I also picked up an Omega 10048 in another PIF. For months I pretty much exclusively rotated between the Omegas. Late last year I started having some skin issues and took a break from brushes altogether. When I started using brushes again, I decided to go with synthetics as I figured there was less chance of bacteria development. Another PIF, and I started out with my S Brush. I had no idea how rough and scratchy my other boars were until the S brush. Nice and soft, although the tips still felt a little too prickly at times. That's when I decided to pick up the WD. What a lather monster. Then, I won another PIF and picked up the Scanlon. While it's the smallest knot I own, I still like it better than my first 4 brushes.

Long story short, I think there are a few PIFs coming in the near future. I have to balance the scales for the 4 brush PIFs I won.

CraigB, BamaT, Tdmsu and 10 others like this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'm a convert too. I've been generating some amazing lathers with my Stirling brush on soaps that were just so-so with my badgers, boars and horsehair. As soon as Rod gets more in stock I'm buying another large one or two just in case they go away and a small one for travel. Then I may have to look at Piffing some of my others.

BamaT and GDCarrington like this.
  3. gwsmallwood

It's a little bit pricey compared to the Stirling, Omega, and Fine brushes, but the Scanlon I just won would make an excellent travel brush. It's nice and compact but the loft is deceptively adequate. I thought it would be too small when I looked at it and held it, but it worked great.

GDCarrington and cmorris357 like this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'd had high hopes for synthetic brushes, but those hopes never came to fruition. I've tried whipped dog and the Plisson, but neither of them had the backbone that I like from boars. I'll keep trying, because it seems like I'm missing out on something everyone else enjoys.

NCoxSTL and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations. I have been revisiting my synthetics. I don't know what generation they are. I decided that I may need to break it in more, so I am purposefully doing a lot of splaying with it. It is very soft, and of course you don't have to soak them at all. This is my Jayaruh #2.
    jayaruh2_1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    45auto, Dzia Dzia and GDCarrington like this.
  6. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

I'm a big fan of synthetics as they are efficient with soap and dry fast. The face feel is a little different (I face lather) but certainly not unpleasant. I have a few different synths and none of them are bad performers. The cade plisson is my softest and it makes tons of lather (way more than I need for a 3-pass). My daily driver is a small no-name chinese synthetic with a natural handle that has just the right size and backbone for a quick 2-pass. It was dirt cheap but performs great.

BamaT and GDCarrington like this.
  7. nelius22

nelius22 Member

My firsts attempts with the Occitaine's Plisson were deceiving but I kept tring and after a couple of weeks no doubts that was to be my first choice over an excellent Semogue and a good Omega (both boar)

As everything, it needs a basic adaptation of the technique, but in then ends it delivers a smooth and productive (in terms of lather) experience.

Dzia Dzia and GDCarrington like this.
  8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I Love my Plisson, its a great performer. Natural hair bristles are so different.

Im glad you found your thing. You have won a few brushes hahaha i found that a big funny

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

I've only used an Omega S-brush and I've had nothing but wonderful results. As you said, it may not have the softest feel for face lathering so I'm curious about other synthetics that perform as well, are reasonably inexpensive and have a softer feel for face lathering...any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jay

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I agree that synthetics are my favorite. the Omega S synthetic was one of the first good brushes I tried and still use it regularly. It can be found for around $8 and I've never had a problem with it shedding. Picked up a Fine Angel Hair Synthetic recently and those 2 are my go to brushes.

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I've always loved my HIS XL, but the Simpsons The Colonel I won is also a great brush.
    I think I still like the synthetic a bit better, and I don't think I'd buy anything but a synthetic now.

BamaT likes this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

DB what is this graphic..some kind of Badger protest against synthetics?..

NCoxSTL likes this.
  14. gwsmallwood

:bounce017::happy036:
    Looks like they're celebrating.

NCoxSTL and Tdmsu like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

They are happy badgers as there is one more person switching to synthetics :)

BamaT, Slipperyjoe and Tdmsu like this.
  16. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I owned a brush from The Body Shop at one time. I'm pretty sure it was synthetic. The only synthetic I ever owned. It was a good brush.

17. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Sorry..I didn't mean to be badgering you...

Darkbulb, NCoxSTL, ezlovan and 2 others like this.
  18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm a synthetic convert, although I only have one at this time, an H.I.S. 1865. It lathers exceptionally well, far better than my boars, is soft to the face, and dries quickly. Because it is so good at face lathering, I don't even think about bowl lathering.

I would like to pick up another one or two, and don't ever see self buying anything but synthetics going forward. The H.I.S., according to GDCarrington's chart, is a gen 4 synthetic. I might pick up a gen 3 to have something different.

Tdmsu likes this.
  19. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

I also have had good luck with the body shop synthetic

Spud likes this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I like my boars and now the horses too much to worry about synthetics. I have heard and read all of the accolades for them but just can't pull the trigger on even the least expensive ones to try them out. Part of it is my traditionalism. If I'm going to shave with a brush and soap like it was meant to be it's gonna be a real brush. Call me old fashioned I guess.

Omelmad and Mr. Shaverman like this.