It's Really Sad......

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Jan 22, 2010.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I shaved with a 1947 Gillette SuperSpeed razor this morning. Got a great shave too. It's a birth year razor for me.

The sad part is that it's in far better condition than I am.

2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I have a ~1948 SS for the same reason -- my birth year. Odd, I had exactly the same reaction.;)

3. sean102385

sean102385 Member

While i will never be able to have a birth year DE (1985) I do have a feeling that when i am 56 years old as my razor is now. that it will be in better shape than i am as wel, even though it will then be 87!

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I've got two birth year (1957) razors as well, a C1 Tech and a C4 Super Speed. We're all doing pretty well for our age.:eatdrink004

5. Slivovitz

Why not? Gillette Super Speeds were made until 1986. Other models were made outside of the U.S.A. until the 1990s, like the G1000.

6. sean102385

sean102385 Member

well thank you very much sir for that info....now i must be on the hunt to find one

7. Catman51

Catman51 New Member

Geesh, thanks, now I have to run off and look for one from 1951!

8. Slivovitz

You're welcome! I didn't know that two months ago, but you pick this stuff up when you're interested.

Date codes can be found here. Note that an "F" date code can be either 1960 or 1985. The later super speeds have the black handles and those were introduced in the late 60s, so not much chance of confusing the two. I believe that the Gillette Super Adjustable was also made until 1986.

9. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Most of my razors were born a long time before I was. The sad part is that they work as well as they ever did. Clearly not the case with me. I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was (sorry, Toby Keith, I couldn't resist)

10. sffone

sffone Member

What a clever idea! I never thought of getting a razor from my birth year. Anyone got a 1946 razor for sell?

11. APC

APC Member

How could you tell it was from 1948? I thought date coding started in 1951. I would be looking for a 1948 model as it was my birth year as well.

12. Garyg

Garyg Member

W code Black Tip I think, made with steel handles (better) and aluminum (light/mild), but there were Tech's made in '51. Don't ask how I know ..

Good luck on the search,

13. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

Dang I thought I had all the razors I ever wanted but now I want my Birth year. Anyone have an old gillette with an S on it they wanna sell?

14. smoky

smoky New Member

I also have a birth year SS. It also seems to me that it was likely made in my birth month. May of 63. maybe just wishful thinking. By the way it was my fist DE purchase, and was just by luck. But the razor I have been using daily is a 1935 Krectshave slant.

Mike

15. DesertTime

In my case, I refer to it as ~1948. Meaning approximately (don't know how to make the double squiggles) , because I cannot be sure. It has the notch but no date code and it didn't come in its original box.

16. DesertTime

Two of my sons wet shave, one born in 1975 and the other in 1979. What were the gillettes like those two years?

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

According to the pictures on Achim's website, you should be able to find black handled Super Speeds to cover those years, along with Knacks, and some slim twists I think.

18. DesertTime

Thanks, Bill. Were they decent shavers?

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I have a '77 knack. Decent is an appropriate description. Somewhat aggressive and definitely head-heavy, but still a decent shaver.

20. bbak

bbak New Member

What would be recommended for 1962

Bruce