I've found a new favorite

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Ska SF, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Ska SF

Ska SF Member

"From the butcher to the barber" Amaretto Speciale is knocking my socks off! This is a tallow based cream from Moon. I've used this for my last 5 shaves in a row and am getting amazing results.
    [​IMG]
    Great lather and performance, great scent, awesome packaging. This probably won't leave my countertop for a very long time. It just looks too cool!

Nicked, dmshaver, Screwtape and 7 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

My Google Fu didn't locate the seller. Got a link?

3. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

It took me some trial and error but you can find it at moonsoaps.com. Looking at the descriptions of the soaps and cream I want them all. Darn darn darn darn darn, as Herman Munster might say.

Edit: Duh. I just noticed you put a link in your original post. I'm just not with it today.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Ska SF and RyX like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I found the site by clicking on the name itself from Ska-SF's opening post.

RyX likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

A little high on the Washingtons($$), but still might be worth a purchase sometime. (Course Moon isn't the only company with high-cost soaps).

6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Actually, when you consider that you get 6 oz. of soap/cream, it's really a pretty good deal. Most give you 4 or 4.5 oz.

Ska SF and RyX like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Excellent point. In fact, I am trying to use that "economic logic" in figuring out a good plan for a purchase of a Bill Neumann soap(my pet name for Wm. Neumann&Co). With Bill, you get 8 oz. But I'll certainly keep MOON in mind.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Ska SF, brit and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Moisture content can be taken into account, too. Creams are prehydrated so you're buying water along with ease of lathering. Harder soaps take a moment to juice up, but in the long run you get more uses from a given amount.

I did find the link in @Ska SF's original post. The Old School scent sounds interesting.

"Notes of tobacco play on top of vetiver, leather, mahogany and sweet vanilla."

Lots of tallow is always a plus in my soap choices! I've tried several almond scented products. Cella was light and soft compared to Klar's hard soap factor and intense scent.

Ska SF, brit and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Paul Turner

I'd go for the Old School muhself.

Ska SF, brit and RyX like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

2 companies i would like to try in the future..neumann and moon..

RyX, Paul Turner and Ska SF like this.
  11. Ska SF

Ska SF Member

Neumann is expensive- samples? I like the idea of the shave cream in a pump bottle. As far as the other Moon soaps go, both are fantastic. Old School Tallow is a pretty heavy scent and not always what I want for really early morning shaves. Havana is always great.

RyX, brit and Paul Turner like this.
  12. Paul Turner

The Havana right off the bat sounds like a clone of Cognac&Cuban Cigars(from B&M, I believe).

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't want to derail OP's topic, but Kiss My Face is packaged that way. I found it on the shelf at a local Health Food & Vitamin shop.
    SOTD 07192017.png

brit and Screwtape like this.
  14. Ska SF

Ska SF Member

I have't tried that one yet but I assure you there is no Cognac in the scent mix! Teak Wood pops the most for me with a little bit of ginger.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  15. Scoutk21

Scoutk21 Member

Sounds wonderful!

16. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Sounds really nice, congrats. It sure is nice when we find the soap that ticks all our boxes. I've recently found my new favorite, CBL Premium Soaps Dragon's Blood.

brit likes this.
  17. Ska SF

Ska SF Member

That's what everyone is searching for, right? It's great to be able to share a treasure with others who will enjoy it!

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Is it a straight up cream, or more of a croap?

brit likes this.
  19. Ska SF

Ska SF Member

Just slightly thicker than Proraso cream. Not sure what croap viscosity would be. Is Cella considered croap?

20. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Proraso in a tub would be considered a croap. I haven't gotten my Cella yet to make an honest comparison.