Ivory Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Knox, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I forget where I saw the post, but Ivory Soap used to advertise using it as a shave soap.

My first go at it actually wasn't bad. I shaved off some shards into my copper mug and lathered it with water and a Boar brush. Nice slickness but the lather dissipated quickly. I would probably get as good or better by hand lathering and applying like I am washing my face.

Not as good as Williams, but it will certainly give a good shave.

IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3084.JPG

2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Glad it worked for you but I'll pass

Yehuda D and David W650 like this.
  3. Mark B

Mark B New Member

My Dad claims to have not bought shaving soap in years. When his shower bar soap gets too small to use there, he just throws it in his mug and shaves away. Mind you, the bar soap he's using is likely the cheapest you can find.

I don't recommend this as I love my luxurious lather from a quality shave soap. I just thought I would add here to your test on Ivory.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  4. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Just experimenting. I won't give up my Williams or Arko.

Yehuda D likes this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I seem to recall the Ivory Soap ad recommending that you use it like a shave stick (i.e., rub the bar on your face). I know that that worked for me when I tried it.

6. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

That's RIGHT! I forgot about that part.

7. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

My dad was doing the same thing. I sent over a half dozen Stirling samples in tins. Next day he was like they smell real good

Unreal these old guys are using bath soap to shave with

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

8. Mark B

Mark B New Member

That's hilarious. Years ago he told me how he missed the Old Pice puck because it fit so well in his Old Spice mug. For his 80th birthday this year, I got him a whole set of Stirling Spice soap aftershave etc. He had almost the same reaction. "Yeah, I think it smells right, and yes it fits my mug well." (I already knew that because I use and love their products in the mug he gave me )

I think we may be long lost brothers.

9. jaxstraww

Your dad wasn't a Navy man by chance?

10. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Hand lathered the Ivory and shaved the back of my neck tonight - I do this about every third day.

Slick and smooth.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Shaver X like this.
  11. Mark B

Mark B New Member

He was. Well. Signed up for the draft so only two years. Not sure that truly makes him a Navy man He was in Texas the whole time.

12. jaxstraww

Well if he had any ship time I think we solved it. Probably because of space issues I can see bath soap getting double duty for shaving on a ship and even in basic training.

I think we are spoiled now with all the artisanal approaches to wet shaving as well.

Our kids will probably be shaving with soap that cures skin cancers in a few years.

Ijustmissedthe50s and sdguero like this.
  13. Mark B

Mark B New Member

I allow myself the pleasure of a neck shave at the barber between cuts. Warm lather, straight razor, and Clubman to finish. That's decadent.

Ijustmissedthe50s and sdguero like this.
  14. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Oh man. That sounds great! My wife is a licensed cosmetologist. I need to invoke her services more. She doesn't mind doing it, I just always feel guilty asking.

15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I tried Ivory once, but it did not work well as a shaving soap for me. Long before I started traditional wetshaving, I heard somewhere that Dove worked well as a shaving soap. Trying it as such, it worked quite well, even better than Williams. The CVS Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar also worked quite well as a shaving soap.

Bath soaps in general have a reputation as being poor shaving soaps, but there are a select few that do make the grade.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Then maybe do something nice for her in return, like dinner at a nice restaurant, buying her some fancy bath soaps, or something similar.

17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Took her Christmas decoration shopping today. She deserves to be spoiled. She does a good job of taking care of me.

18. David W650

David W650 Active Member

What he said.

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Experiments like that are always fun. Cool thread. I would like to see a picture of that lather at the five minute mark.

Shaving with Ivory is on a list of things to do when I have no other choice. I have done it before, if times got really tough, I would do it again.

20. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

This past year I was unemployed for 3 months and I was thankful that I had plenty of shaving gear.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Diamondtim and PickledNorthern like this.