Jackpot!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lionhearted, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

My wife called my attention to this ad in our local free weekly throw-away paper Wednesday.

[​IMG]

It was only 30 minutes to closing time at this bargain store 20 miles from our house but we made it. I bought 18 Gillettes for $1.50 each, $27 total. I bought all the razors she had skipping only two GEMs. I got two Fatboys, one slim, three super adjustables and 12 Super Speeds, including a red tip and a black tip. A few are mint and none are really bad. Here's a sample:

[​IMG]

I also picked up a 22-ct gold Ronson and a nice Zippo lighter for $1 each. The lady even threw in three flints and one of the GEMs I didn't want, a 1957 Featherweight that looks unused in a case with the the instruction leaflet and four vintage PAL SE blades in a plastic dispenser.

Better yet the owner said she attends at least a dozen estate auctions every month in Kansas City. She said she buys safety razors, brushes and mugs usually for 25 cents each, 50 cents at the most. She said she gets one to two dozen razors a month. She prices them at a flat $1.50 each. I told her I'd take all the Gillettes she gets at that price. She agreed to e-mail me when she gets her next batch and hold them for me to see first.

I'm not a collector so I'll be selling these gradually for a small profit. Usually I ask $5-8 for a SS and $20-25 for a nice adjustable but I may price these lower. None will be sold on B&B or SMF. I do have some expenses. Gasoline costs money and I spent a lot of non-productive hours going to antique and thrift stores looking for vintage razors. There are bargains out there but it took me six months to stumble across this one.

Richard

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    O! M! G! :eek:

Jackpot seems like such an understatement!

:happy088

3. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

That's quite the haul Richard. Congrats.

4. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

You have done well!

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
  6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Nice haul Richard!

7. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Very nice indeed!

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Pack your bags brah. With luck like that I am taking you to Vegas.

9. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

Awesome

Thats a deal :happy096

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

nice buy! More pictures! :D

11. Norman4Law

Norman4Law New Member

Good job, congratulations

12. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

This is another sample after one quick cleaning with a toothbrush and Scrubbing Bubbles. It looks like that's all most will need. My camera's been acting funny the last couple of days, fuzzy pictures with bad flash lighting. I'll play with it when I find time. Somebody was very fond of black — eight of the 12 SuperSpeeds are black handled.

[​IMG]

Richard

13. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

Amazing finds.