January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Perry cool photo. I see you couldn't wait to use the injector. I know you were concerned about the shaving angle. Did you find it easy to begin getting the correct angle dialed in?

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yes, no angle discovery issues at all. I started with the handle 90 degrees to my face and then rotated down using tiny strokes until I heard the magic sound. For me it's an angle close to what I use with my DE razor. The terrific audible feedback helped to know you were on it. I really enjoyed it!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The injectors are great little razors. It's almost like cheating. ;)

4. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

1/30/16

Phoenix Double OC
    Supermax super stainless (1)
    Jayaruh #27 with WD Silvertip knot
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Pinaud Clubman Original

IMG_2511.jpg

A near BBS from the Phoenix DOC loaded with the Supermax Super Stainless.
    2 passes with average reduction and minor touch up, followed by a cool water rinse. After doing some touch up, it became apparent that the Super Stainless was having a hard time clearing away all the stubble. I spent a considerable amount of time and effort striving to catch the baby but I found a bit of roughness on my neck each time I rinsed. The Clubman stung a good deal, but it didn't last long. The WD silvertip in my JR #27 brush had enough lather for another pass or two.

While the Supermax Super Stainless provided a close shave, it wasn't as efficient in the DOC as the Gillette Silver Blue, the Rapira Super Stainless or the Feather. I like my new silvertip brush, but I'm afraid it has started to shred something fierce - about a half dozen hairs yesterday and at least that many today. Hopefully it will settle down soon. I like the brush, but I hate seeing the brush hairs on my razor when I'm trying to shave.

I hope everyone enjoys their Saturday!

Troy M, TomJ89de, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

very good combo :)

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 30, 2016
    Prep: Hot Shower. Noxzema
    Razor: Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip TV Special 1958 D3
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue
    Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic Marble Handle
    Aftershave: Fine L'Orange Noir. Route 66 Retro Spice
    Fantastic shave. First time using the TV Special and I'm very impressed with the shave, IMO all SS Flare Tips don't shave alike, I found the TV Special to be a little more efficient than my other SS.
    Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE!
    image.jpg

Keithmax, Troy M, TomJ89de and 11 others like this.
  7. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul! I really like the Phoenix DOC. It's a pretty mild shaver and it needs to be paired with a sharp blade for the BBS. On the other hand, if you just want a quick, comfortable, easy, and smooth shave, it's pretty sweet.

8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Pre: Hot Shower, Sterling Pre-Shave Soap, Chatillon Lux Pre-Shave Butter
    Soap: Aqua Di Parma
    Brush: Elite Razor TGN Silvertip
    Razor: Blackland Blackbird
    Blade: Feather #3
    Post: Alum, Witch Hazel +Menthol, Whipped Shea Butter, Fine Fresh Vetiver

Today's shave was outstanding. Two passes plus clean up gave me another BBS shave with the Blackbird. This is my go to DE razor now. The BB gives me an error free efficient shave and seems to work best for me with Feather blades. ADP provides good lubrication, easy lathering, with a kick butt scent. Finished with a spritz of Fine Fresh Vetiver. Hope you all are having a stupendous Saturday. :cool: N'joy your day.

Sat1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The man you see on the FINE bottle looks like a fella from the 1950's. It's good to see such pictures on A.S. bottles these days-encouraging for the user.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

1/30/2016
    AlumiGoose with Hempel Ti
    Feather Pro (7)
    RV with Shavemac Finest
    Chiseled Face Trade Winds
    Witch Hazel
    F&C Capri
    Whipped Shea Butter

[​IMG]

A fantastic 2 pass shave this morning. I easily matched my normal work morning shave. But with the extra time and a few touch ups, I ended up with a BBS. Finished up with a splash of F&C Capri. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Drygulch uploadfromtaptalk1454172267183.jpg These are the only markings on the blade.

RaZorBurn123, Bill_F, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thanks Kevin! It was all very awkward at first, it hasn't been without a nick or three. The time you spent around the 30Day last spring and early summer with Josh and Adam was also very helpful to me. I started employed skin stretching and figured out that no matter how aggressive the razor, from a Tech to a straight, it's all about blade angle and pressure. I know I've been a little quiet about asking questions, but that's only because I've watched and read people like you teach others how straights work. And yes, I am hooked on straight shaves too. The ritual practice is calming, or at least for me. The strop is almost as fun as the shave. Now, my efforts are focused on stropping, stroke pattern and gaining more economy of motion. Still fighting the drying lather issue, but I get a bit more confident and speedier each day, in the prudent way. Basically the plan is two more months nonstop, and then I say I will evaluate, but I think we already know how it will be!

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

Straights Focus January 30:

Homemade PS Oil
    Stirling Synthetic Brush
    MDC
    Henry Sears and Son Queen 3/4
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet AS

I used a couple of birthday presents for the first time this morning. My parents were very generous and sent me the razor and MDC. I got a great lather and went for a full two pass shave. The razor performed very well, and I now am feeling BBS, with just a tiny bit of irritation. My wife even confirmed how smooth, as my 5 year old son wanted her to figure out who was smoother. According to her, it was a tie, so I will take those results. I finished off with some Wholly Kaw, which I think has a great scent. Now, my son and I are off to Buffalo Wild Wings for a little father son time, so it is working out to be a great Saturday. Hope everyone does as well or better.

14. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

January 30
    Pre-Shave Oil
    Edwin Jagger DE89
    Astra Platnum (1)
    Hot Shower, Nivea Face wash
    Omega 10066 Boar Shaving Brush
    Reef Point Dragon’s Blood
    Alum, Pinaud Clubman, Nivea Balm
    Mod Cabin Honeysuckle Beard Oil

Found a different bowl in the cabinet to lather. It has some texture, and curves in a bit. Definitely helps. Tried a different blade, was using feathers, but wanted to see what the Astra was like. Can't tell a giant difference. Got some Shannon Soap Bay Patchouli Grapefruit in the mail yesterday, and my Chiseled Face samples come today. So starting on the first I will be swapping through those, since the performance won't be much different between flavors. Good shave today, a little rough under my chin. Off for a putt on the bike, have a great day all!

[​IMG]

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Got a really smooth shave today. Used Sterling Barbershop soap, Badger Brush, and Fine All American Blend aftershave. This is my first time using a badger brush on Sterling soap, rather than a synthetic. It worked much better, and I get why people like this stuff so much. I didn’t do any more work on the hones before this shave, but I did 40 laps on Chromium Oxide pasted strop, 40 on linen, and 120 on leather. (That is a lot of Chromium Oxide, I did it to see if it would smooth out the shave.) Did a N/S pass, a S/N pass, and an XTG pass. BBS on face, chin, and jawline, and DFS overall. Closeness, A-, Irritation A-, Keenness B-, Smoothness A-. I will take it.
    IMG_2903.JPG
    Wrap up for the month.
    1. I want to like Synthetic Brushes. I don’t. My 28mm Ubersoft knot will be for sale soon, and I am either getting a boar or badger.
    2. Honing razors is hard. I think I have finally figured out how see if my foundation is good, so I can work on the polishing steps.
    3. Every treatment affects the shave quality, but the foundation of the edge is what makes or breaks the shave.
    4. I need to get a new cabinet. SWMBO is getting a little annoyed with all my shave stuff in the only bathroom in the house.
    Had fun this month, and glad to see all the participation and shenanigans. I will see everyone in the Feb thread for my 14th consecutive focus.

RaZorBurn123, wmbjr, Bill_F and 10 others like this.
  16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Might have to get some expert to weigh in. Cast is all I can make out.

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Focus- Hard Soaps
    Love this soap. Did one pass with the straight for a CCS. I cleaned it up with my Leresche #51 for a very nice shave.
    SOTD
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd
    Omega Boar
    Faultless Straight
    Alum
    Déjà Fougère AS
    Have a great weekend!
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, wmbjr, Bill_F and 12 others like this.
  18. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

WD 6/8
    Tiny boar
    Sterling MITA
    lilac Witch Hazel

I only shaved my neck and cleaned up the top line for a beard. I feel lazy and haven't felt like shaving but my neck itched so I shaved it and lined up the top part so it wouldn't look funny. The sterling made my eyes water just from lathering up my neck. I did 3 passes and my neck came out at a very good DFS. I still think I could get a BBS after an ATG shave but I don't think I could do that with the straight unless I had a shorty to fit in the hollows between my neck and chin.

19. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Here is a picture of my Tiny Boar taped to the proper loft and backed up by the Semogue 1438, the JR#8, the WD 20mm synthetic and the RazoRock Plissoft.

[​IMG]

20. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

January 2016

RECAP
    30-day focus with my Schick Type C1 - The Simplified Schick Automatic Razor.
    I tested 6 different injector blades this month with the C1, that I hope will serve as my travel razor.

Schick Type C1 with Blades.JPG

Blades used:
    Schick - China
    Schick Platinum - Holland
    Personna 74* (1970s)
    Schick Plus Platinum - US (1980-ish?)
    Feather Pro (Artist Club) Cut down to fit the C1.
    Schick Twin Injector (1973) Just thin enough to fit the C1.

First about the Schick Type C1. (YMMV)

Like most any razor, once you get the angle right (extremely shallow) and get used to its handling (square body, slick-when-wet sides) this razor will give very good to great shaves with almost any blade as it did in my focus. A very light touch (no pressure!) and maintaining the razor head flat against the face are the keys to a great shave with the C1. I’ve had more shaves that resulted in 1-pass shaves, due the previous day's great shave, than I’ve ever had.

Also, I insert blades manually into the razor head. This razor was made before the injector pack with the ‘key’ were invented, so you cannot load them like other razors. The razor has its own “repeater loading” feature for blade loading, but i do not use that either.

Limitations for loading aside, the C1 gives great shaves and will work for me as an excellent travel razor, though probably not as an everyday razor.

Blades

Schick - China (A ‘Chick’ blade as it is referred to)
    In my beginner’s foray into injector shaving, this is my go to, journeyman blade. It just works. - and they're still being made! In the C1 they do the job really well.

Schick Platinum - Holland
    Very sharp blade compared to the Chick. Took a bit of time to get used to the sharpness, especially around my chin, in order to find the right approach. Technique focus and a slick, hydrated soap really helps with this blade.

Schick Plus Platinum - US (1980-ish?)
    This blade started me down the path of perfect (for me) shaves. Close, smooth, comfortable and sharp, this blade led to shaves that were so good that the following day’s shave became a one-pass ATG shave that just repeated with the next day’s shave. I don’t know if it was the sharpest blade in the trials, but this one may become the regular blade for me with this razor.

Personna 74* (1970s)
    This blade appears to have achieved legendary status with injector experts. Now I know why. Very sharp and very smooth, this blade gave me as good a shave as any other blade in the trials. Extremely pricey however - if one has any luck in finding them! But the legendary reputation has as much to do with the longevity of each blade. Some people report a single blade lasting an entire month of shaves. Having found a pack that includes 11 blades I certainly look forward to testing this claim. Even so, considering its price, rarity and with so many other great blades available - I’ll probably not get a second pack.

Feather Pro (Artist Club) - Cut down to fit the C1.
    Or the FergieFeather as I call it, having got the idea from @Billyfergie
    Yowzer! this is one sharp blade! Even though I had gotten used to a Feather AC Pro in a Mongoose, as well as the unusual blade angle for the C1 - this blade requires laser-focus and does not have much blade angle forgiveness. If you can maintain strict focus and blade angle, this blade will give excellent shaves on a daily basis. I will need much more practice with it and will do that as I test this blade in other razors as well. *NOTE: it requires a sharp and strong metal cutter in order to cut the AC blades to injector length.

Schick Twin Injector (1973)
    The wider and thicker twin blade was not made for this razor, but the ‘press fit’ head on these early injectors does not require a “key’ so this blade can fit by manually loading. This blade is also wider, so the blade exposure is significantly different than using other blades in this razor. Once I got used to the blade efficiency and sharpness, I was getting daily one-pass shaves. A one-pass with some buffing on my trouble spots, rewarded me with the closest and smoothest shave since I left carts about 9 months ago. It shaves so close that it requires a light touch with a deliberate pace. I've found that I cannot safely rush a shave with this blade. Which may not make it ideal for this razor on the road where I seem to be a bit more rushed to get out the door. But anytime you have the ability to take your time and mind your technique — this is a great combo.

Conclusion
    Blade preference is a YMMV issue if there ever was one. But for me, I would be comfortable using any of these blades regularly with this razor - as long as I adjust for the small differences in each.

My favorite, by only a thin margin was the Schick Plus Platinum. It’s sharpness was just enough for me, but its ease of use makes it a quick and easy shave while on the road and perhaps having to rush out of the hotel in the morning.

But for the near-term, I will probably go with the Personna 74 I used in the trials (3 shaves) just to test the longevity of the blade. Imagine going on the road for 2, 3, or 4 weeks and not having to change the blade. Tough problems to have!

Cheers!
    RT

I'm in for the February Focus with my new (to me) Schick Type D.
    (the razor that doomed NB'16 for me!)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016