January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

A Journey Down Route 66
    11 January 2017

IMG_1225.JPG
    Route 66, Magic, Voskhod and Plisson all excellent per usual. Face-lathered two passes for the DFS with the standard heroic finish. Alum was cool, and the skinfeel was excellent! Calm mild day on the prairie, another on tap tomorrow! Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a nice evening!
    :)

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo. The PAL Injectomatic looks mint. :happy088:

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thank you, it is. Nikos from TSN and TSR sold it to me for a very fair price. I was quite lucky to find it.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You did well on that acquisition. I seem to recall him going through a den clearing.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Next brush in the brush focus is a brush I have struggled with... well just a little. It has a short handle so it gets soap on the handle and it is a lather hog. The next brush up is a Simpsons Chubby 2 in super. This knot is super dense and super soft, my problem is that doesn't like to release the lather.

I spotted the tub of Los Angeles Shaving Soap and it called to me. I forgot I really like the lather and smell of this croap. I was running late so I passed on the straight razor and loaded my Rocnel adjustable with a Rapira Swedish Steel blade and cranked it all the way open.

I loaded the soap like it owed me money and was two months late on the payment. That seem to be the trick and I had lots of great lather throughout the 4 passes. I really like this razor, heavy and aggressive when opened pasts it max setting. For the 4th pass I turned it down a couple of notches. Long lasting BBS but one tiny weeper and a tickle from the alum denied me the epic shave, still an awesome shave.

Irritation A Closeness A+

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thanks, Jared. It is a '66 SS, so it predates me a few years. I would like to find a '75 at some point, but only if I stumble upon one now.

7. Norcalnewb

The nameless shavette has a great handle. Who doesn't like the smell of clove cigarettes?

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

January 11

I've shaved twice with my R41 loaded with a Polsilver Super Iridium. It's early, but I would place it slightly ahead of the Astra SP or the Perma-Sharp Super for smoothness right out of the wrapper. This is definitely a great addition to my blade rotation, and I can see why so many wet shavers favor these blades.

I've shaved three times with Barrister and Mann Bay Rum soap. Performance is OK, but I dislike the scent. Best I can tell, I detect either a hint of pepper or burnt plastic. I'm not a bay rum expert by any stretch, but it's not what I would expect in a bay rum scent. If anyone here likes B&M Bay Rum or just wants to give it a try, send me a PM. I'll gladly send it your way.

I hope you all are having a great week!

9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

At least you don't need to find a new aftershave. Even my lightest scented ones still have quite a bit of scent. I've never tried the Every Man Jack balm. I have some of the deoderant and enjoy the mint or the Amber scents.

10. wristwatchb

1.jpg

11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Ok, I laughed out loud there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

12. Norcalnewb

I suspect I will regret not getting some Polsilver blades at some point, as the couple I tried worked well for me. But, I have more blades than I need for a few years! Glad you are enjoying them.

Too bad about the B&M Bay Rum. I have heard good things about it, and this is possibly the first time I have a mixed review of a B&M soap, at least other than the original Latha.

13. wristwatchb

Thanks Jim. I'm fairly well set on blades too, but the Polsilvers were a nice addition. If you decide to get some, check out www.polsilver-blades.com

It could just be my impression of the B&M soap. I'm sure some folks would like it.

14. wristwatchb

Your eloquently written post reminds me of another guy that must have suffered the same fate.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair." —Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities (1859)

15. SharptoothC

Brilliant!

16. PickledNorthern

Thank you. I have a Thompson Center .50 that has a similar laminate on the stock, minus the blue. I was thinking it would maybe make a cool SOTD one day.

17. PickledNorthern

The way mine has been treating me, I might have to print that out and hang it in my bathroom.

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

19. wristwatchb

20. SharptoothC

I get that irritation too. When I have to shave daily, I don't worry so much about getting as close a shave as I do about having a presentable shave. That helps. I always splash with Witch Hazel, which also seems to help. And Palmer's cocoa butter. Love the stuff.