Jean Nate

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, Jun 13, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yes, it's long been marketed for women but the breakdown on Basenotes looks more or less within the range of something a man might wear.

[​IMG]

I'll have to sniff some next time I'm at the store. Anyone familiar with it?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My mother used to wear it back in the '70s and '80s... iirc it smelled very "fresh" but also definitely feminine. I don't remember the scent being particularly long-lasting. I think there's also a rule now that you have to be into your "senior years" in order to purchase it.

Yehuda D and Frijolero like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Figured something like that, but then, some think "old people" when they smell Shulton. Doesn't sound like the final drydown would be THAT feminine...will have to find out.

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yeah, but until that final dry down, you are going to smell very much like a chick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not if I don't leave the house. :happy088:

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You'll still smell like an old lady. It's just that fewer people will notice.:p

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Frijolero likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Lily of the Valley and Tonka Bean are going to leave you smelling very feminine and floral.

Yehuda D and Frijolero like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'll give you Lily (not Munster, she's mine, hands off) but isn't tonka bean used in men's frags?

Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

One suggestion .... Tabac!

gorgo2, Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

It is. Just maybe not with lily of the valley. By itself, it's a sweet scent, in the same direction as vanilla.

gorgo2 and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep. It's a projector, and will lend a powdery note to the perfume.

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well, no store I've checked today has had it. I guess the target market has been dying off.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Honestly, this is a quest like something from an Adam Sandler movie, and I am eagerly awaiting the results.

[​IMG]

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Several interesting observations in the comments here... according to some it's now more unisex than it used to be...

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Revlon/Jean-Nate-9025.html

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Frijolero likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mystery solved.

Was in CVS this morning, they had it ($13 a bottle?!?). Bright lemon up front, quickly followed by vague, synthetic florals and bergamot or something like it. Drydown didn't change must, just a residual lemony/powdery scent that projects one mm from the skin. Bottle dated 2014, made in Mexico.

Resale shop, a gigantic bottle with no date but apparently older, made in the U.S. Much the same right off the bat, dried down to the bergamot/florals but now with much more (but still not much) of that sweet vanilla-ish tonka and the faintest hint of cedar.

Conclusion: both are innocuous and decidedly feminine. Maybe on some people (including men) it turns into something woody and spicy but not on me, not a bit.

Here's the weird part. It does bear fairly close resemblance to 4711, only sweeter and more lemony. To my nose, imagine a cross between Florida water and Heno de Pravia, that's about it as some have already figured out...

https://www.google.com/search?num=5....64.psy-ab..7.2.407...0j33i21k1.0.ynSC_2tF3Mo

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  16. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I picked up a quart of this stuff 6-7 years ago for my mother in law .I tried it once or twice.It is reminds me of a lemony sweet female clubman vanilla.A little too femme for me.

Paul Turner and gorgo2 like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I use it and mostly notice the citrus scent. As we’ve said many times, scents do not have a sex. If you like it , use it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My dad used to call it "Jean NAYTE"...but just as a play on the name, not the fragrance.

19. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

The FIRST (actually only) thing I think of when hearing that name is Marie Barone. :D