Jeep?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by barbersurgeon, Oct 21, 2015.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Somewhat dreaming, but if something happened to my wagon I'd need to replace it. So try to keep up son vehicles that meet my 'requirements'. After looking at specs and comparing several makes I keep coming back to seriously having to look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee???

I need space for dog(s), and want AWD or RWD based 4wd. I've been a Subaru fan for a long time and my current car is a legacygt wagon. Current Outback/forester doesn't ring the bell for me. Subaru is not the company they were ten years ago.

Pilot, explorer and likes are fwd based. Ich. Weather isn't a huge issue here, but having AWD or 4wd in most of the cars I've owned, it's hard to give up. Mileage with the jeep is close to what I get now, but I won't have to buy 93 anymore. Nissan is phasing out theXterra, which is also comparably priced.

Drove a wrangler last year out of curiosity. Seriously considering taking a Grand Cherokee out for a spin????

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for ten years or so. I really liked it but the rather poor MPG and being very prone to develop little 'quirks' that needed shop-attention made me miss it less when it was gone :)
    It was however supremely good to make it up to Lake Tahoe in the winter. Some snow chains on it and it plowed through most anything.

3. barbersurgeon

Quirky I'm Ok with. I've owned 5 Subaru's, a Porsche and a Land Rover!

What I can't stand is the 'appliance automobile'. I have very little experience with Jeep/Dodge. My Mom had a dodge in the early 90's and it was a good car. I worked on some friend's Jeeps in high school and college and wasn't terribly impressed with the engineering/build quality, but that was on vehicles built 30 or more years ago. When looking over the Wrangler last year, it looks like they have progressed into the modern era mostly.

I never thought I'd have my current car for ten years. Now I'm getting edgy about it, which I have done in the past but have qualmed those fears till they rode out. Deer collision season is also upon us, and a total loss is a possibility if that should occur. Finding a good replacement for a 4th Gen Legacy GT wagon is not easy. Euro wagons are 10k+ over my comfort zone. Subaru has deccided CVT is the way to go. Looking at a H6 outback, I can get a lot more vehicle for the same price elsewhere. For some reason I have an easier time accepting as automatic in a truck than a car. I guess the land rover diversion convinced me it was OK.

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Being totally obliviant to the US market I'd take a hard good look at Toyota Landcruiser. It is my dream car but priced at 170000 USD new it's out of my budget. But being danish, so is many cars here :)

The cheapest Grand Cherokee here starts at 190000 USD so if it somehow compares, the Landcruiser should definitely be within your budget.

5. barbersurgeon

Here the 4Runner is comparable to to the JGC.

I'm trying to stay in the low to mid $30k range. The Laredo with just the winter package (heated seats, heavy mats, quadratrac II, remote start) is in that range. The 4Runner starts mid 30's.

(The Land Cruiser starts @ $83k USD. Not in the budget!)

6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have a jeep Cherokee and I like it. My only issue is that it isn't a manual transmission. In snow or mud it sometimes shifts itself between 1st and 2nd because it was made with low gear being shared. My only issues with it are my issues with automatic transmissions.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  7. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

VW Touareg TDI. Pick up a Pre Owned warrantied. Would probably put it in your price range. Great vehicle.

Greg W.

8. barbersurgeon

Nothing wrong with the VW esp, just doesn't strike me... Also I keep vehicles quite a while so owning new is important to me, even with the initial hit. I like to know as much history of a vehicle as possible. (I have family in the used car business)

Jeep has pulled it's financing incentives for the time being. I need to do some minor prep/maint on my car anyway. So we'll see what the future brings in the next few weeks.