John Barber Restoration...

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by C utz, May 31, 2007.

1. C utz

C utz New Member

Here's my latest albatross!

I mean, the razor that I have been taking my sweet ass time restoring. I'm a bit partial to these older razors, so I thought I'd piss off a lot of antique collectors and 'have at it' with my dremel, and hand sanding (I hate hand sanding! :mad: ).

Not too bad I'd say! Kept her pinned the whole time, so it's all original hardware...

What is not seen in the scan is that the horn is sanded/polished to glass/reflecting finish, and the bulls-eye collars were originally just rust with brass pins...those sanded up nice to a bright silver with brass centers.

Can't wait to hone and shave with this puppy!!

C utz

Attached Files:

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Nice one. That started out A LOT worse than the Wostenholm I have been working on, and you got it looking SWEET! Let us know how it shaves!

3. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

You are right, Chris. You just pissed off the collectors who love those razors made in the late 1700's. Looks nice though.

Maybe the hit could be called off and your life could be saved if you were to put a "patina" of gun blue on it????

Good job.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

How many total hours to get from Before to After ??

That is some nice piece - 'O - steel ya got there ! :cool:

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

VERY NICE!

Attached Files:

6. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Nice work.

I like the sharper-looking edges on those scales. Definitely a break from the traditional "rounded" corners. Sharp cornered scales = sharp blade! ;)

7. xChris

xChris Member

Great job on restoring that razor -- enjoy it!

8. C utz

C utz New Member

Excellent question.... This is where one would consult that edu-ma-cated owl sitting in the tree (You know, the tootsie roll one). BUT, since I think he passed on somewhere in the late '70s, I'll have to venture a guess.

I worked on this from time to time when I had the time, which is not often. I did a rough dremel removal of the rust, but we will not consider that time, since it was on the order of 15-20min. The longest was the 'hand sanding' and since I had to go down pretty deep, I started at 150grit and spent about an hour or so on each grit all the way up to 8000grit. SO, since the order was:
    150, 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000
    That puts us at over 11 hours.

PLUS, about an hour or so sanding the scales...then there is the final dremel polish with maas+Fabuluster, then Maas, and finally renaissance wax

Basically, it took a little less than forever.

The best part is, she honed up fast and easy! (those are fun in every respects ;) )

C utz