Jones Shake Sharp Model 1.0

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jgreenepa, Dec 16, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but it’s true! I own several Modern Artisan razors, but this little Bakelite wonder from the 1940s outshaves them all! I have this wonderful community to thank, but most specifically, @jmudrick. He provided pointers after I bought my first Shake Sharp with respect to shimming and mentioned how he really liked his Model 1.0 which he liked to use with two stacked blades. I discovered that the Model 1.0s were pretty hard to find, but thankfully, a member on another board heard I was looking, and was willing to sell her’s. When it arrived, I stacked two Suneko blades, and was amazed at how easy the razor was to use. It’s an interesting design, a single edge razor that takes DE blades. It looks to be the type of razor given the blade extension and gap that would require a careful, technical shave, But the design is ingenious with a generous sweet spot that shaves like a dream! I thought my Suneko blade shave was close, until I stacked two Feather blades. I have never experienced such a close comfortable shave. This is my favorite #1 razor in my Den. Despite having committed to shaving with a different vintage razor each day this month, I could easily sell all my razors and just use this one till the end of my days.
    44114D6C-8256-4983-A714-DF20F5003F80.jpeg 4A9A4213-E73D-4F56-BDFD-4A9C517B2D90.jpeg 44D7889B-8E27-4AE0-A519-E550F90CD562.jpeg

GAW9576, PLANofMAN, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Thank you for the recognition, you're welcome, and congratulations on discovering the magic of the stacked blade Mk1.0 -- or in your case a 1.5, as your cap is hinged. I also have no problem annointing it my favorite razor among way too many I own. I've had trouble stacking blades in the 1 5 as the posts are a little shorter than my 1.0 models and a tricky to secure properly.

For the record I don't think the Shake Sharp became the GE Jones Shake Sharp until it was released in Mk2 form for Christmas 1951. The 1945 release carried no Jones association I've seen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If I remember correctly, both were released by the Shavety First Corp. The G.E. Jones moniker appeared on the second generation razors. I still have no idea who 'G.E. Jones' is supposed to be or what involvement he or she had with the razors. They may have had to add it to avoid a lawsuit from DeHaven or something.

GAW9576 and jgreenepa like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My model 1.0 packaging has no reference to either GE Jones or Shavety First, and the Shavety address on the model 2.0 instructions is different from the Shake Sharp Razor Inc. address on the Model 1.0. Jones appears only on the box, not on the instructions for the 2.0. So go figure. I assume the rights to the design were sold, perhaps a third time as one of the ads for the 2.0 says Dale and Associates (Shake Sharp Division).

DeHaven was long gone by the time the Model 2.0 was released in '51.

GAW9576, jgreenepa and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Same pairing, my Mk 1.5 with stacked Suneko blades. Great shave... exactly the same as with the Mk1.0? I'm not sure. The difference between the two heads is minor but they are not identical. That I'll use tomorrow.[​IMG]

GAW9576, PLANofMAN and jgreenepa like this.
  6. jgreenepa

Jeff:
    I’ll be very interested in your assessment. By the way, I’ve been able to stack two blades in my Goldtone. I’ll be shaving with it in a day or two. I actually found it much easier to stack the blade than to use a shim. Go figure!
    Jeff

GAW9576 likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There's a very perceptible difference between the 1.0 and 1.5 using stacked blades . Immediately noticeable is reduction in audible feedback with the 1.0. And consistent with previous recollection it's a smoother shave. Whether the apparent increase in rigidity is attributable to slight differences in the cap, interface with the bottom supporting hone, or the (taller?) posts which secure the second blade I really don't know. Still a win for the 1.0 however it's done.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  8. jgreenepa

Jeff:
    I’ll take your word for it, but I can’t imagine a shave smoother than my 1.5. By the way, the stacked blades in the 2.0 also deliver a great shave. The Shake Sharp is simply the finest razor I’ve ever shaved with!

GAW9576 likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

And I'll go back to the 1.5 again too.

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. jgreenepa

I’ve tried shimming the 2.0, and maybe it’s my Parkinson’s, but have been singularly unsuccessful at getting a shim to sit on top of the blade or under it. Maybe because the blade holders aren’t as high on the baseplate. For whatever reason I’ve had no problem with the stacked blades.

GAW9576 likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Last night I did a did a head shave using the Shake Sharp 1.5 (Bakelite hinged cap) with twin Czech Ataras. It was efficient but not as impressively smooth as I get with the 1.0, indeed there is some clatter of the cap that isn't there with the removable cap version. That clatter was why I hadn't done this with the 1.5 for a while.

I repeated the set-up for a full shave this morning with the 2.0 and got similar results, no clatter, good efficiency but not the effortless smoothness of the 1.0.

Just to do the am I crazy check I put the Ataras in the 1.0 for a final pass ATG on my neck and the smoothness was there. As I've done this before this was more affirmation than discovery but I'm going to stick with the 1.0 when using the twin blades.

My 1.5 might have an issue that the one @Jgreenepa loves doesn't have or maybe he just needs to score a mk1 :) . [​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

12. jgreenepa

Jeff, there’s no clatter with my 1.5 or with my nickel or gold wash models. I’ve been looking for a 1.0 for months, but they are apparently quite rare! I love my 1.5 and 2.0 razors and can’t imagine a smoother shave. If you know of a source with a 1.0 I would be forever grateful! By the way my shaves with my newly acquired Auto Strop VC4 are every bit as good! It’s an incredible head shaver.

GAW9576 and Edison Carter like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

As it happens my first head shave was we with an Autostrop VC1. I haven't done many shave since as I hate the Feather blade, my head shave turns them to dull garbage after a shave or two on a good day and de-spining the Gems I find more trouble than it's worth given other razor options. I have a second later Autostrop I'll pull out and see what it is.

Always on the lookout for a Mk1.0 I'll be sure to let you know if I see one. I might have to try another 1.5.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    GAW9576, Edison Carter and jgreenepa like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is one razor that has eluded me. One day...

GAW9576, Edison Carter and jgreenepa like this.
  15. jgreenepa

Jeff, what I like about the VC4 is the adjustability and the safety bar. I start my shave with the adjustment lever up, and on my second and final pass, I lower it. It shaves just as smoothly as my Shake Sharp. I’m also not a fan of the Feather blades I think I probably have less hair on my head than you. I’m getting about 2 1/2 shaves out of them. My VAS C model works beautifully with the Pella SS Gems which I find are very easy to despine with two needle nose pliers. The shave isn’t anywhere as smooth as with the VC4. But the Gem blade is good for 5 or 6 shaves.

16. jgreenepa

Jim:
    They are great razors. Blade use is great with the two stacked DE blades. I know you’re not a head shaver, but they’re the best around at it.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm good for 3 head and beard shaves with the Gems before I become dissatisfied with them. Wish it were more because I love the shave, my MMOC especially.

I won't seek out the VC4 but one may show up in a lot as did both Autostrops I have.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Edison Carter, Droo78 and jgreenepa like this.
  18. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

IMG_20240217_184412_(1100_x_1100_pixel).jpg IMG_20240217_184349_(1100_x_1100_pixel).jpg

My first. Shake Sharp shave. So if I'm understanding correctly this is a MK 1 and just Shake Sharp, not Jones Shake Sharp.
    It was a very good shave. I had forgotten about reading the part about double stacking blades. Tom White told me I should try it and so I re-read this thread.

brit and elektrotasil like this.
  19. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

IMG_20240220_205631_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg

I tried a double stack blade in the Shake Sharp today. What a great shave.

elektrotasil and brit like this.