Joseph Rodgers & Sons. Frowning Razor

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Nov 9, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Here is one I've been working on, on and off for several weeks. The scales were cracked, and split. Sorry I dont have the picture of the badly split side. Just one side, with some glue on it, at the pivot pin area. The blade was an issue, because it had a noticeable frown, that was an issue. I had to take my time with this one, because there was plenty of horn scale left, and I wanted to salvage them. Here is the before shot. I'm currently working on it today, but will be finished later today. There are three total I've been working on today, so it's slow going.

Before:
    Joseph Rodgers & Sons.

P9211192.JPG

AGHisBBS, Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  2. DaltonGang

Here are the after photos. I had to apply CA to much of the scales, on the back-half. They were cracked towards the heel, and splitting. If you look closely, you can see repairs, well, at least if you are looking up close and personal.
    After the CA dried, the scaled were sanded, and a bench buffing wheel was used to make it look better. The blade was another issue. Aside from the corrosion and pitting, it looked OK. Well except for the frown. This was taken care of by an 800 grit stone, I use to set difficult bevels. I used the sides and evened the blade out. I sanded the blade, then polished it out, on the bench buffing wheel. Man, does that bench buffer sure safe hours of time, and its safer than trying to use a Dremel to buff and polish.
    The bevel took a while because this steel is very hard, and most of the bevel was completely removed, to take care of the frown. It did take on a very very nice edge.
    So, here it is.

Joseph Rodgers & Sons. Cutlers to Their Majesties, Norfolk Street, England. (That's a Mouthful)

PB091318.JPG

PB091317.JPG

Jim99, Redfisher, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice. Beautiful work. znice_razor.png

DaltonGang likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

Thanks guys. This one took a long time to do, because of the cracked and split scales.

Redfisher likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That came out quite nice. Great work.

DaltonGang likes this.