July 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2016.

?

How do you plan to beat the heat with your shaves this summer?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Menthol. Menthol and more menthol!

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Cold water shaves.

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. The DryGulch method....menthol.......just lower.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Eating ice cream and cookies before every shave.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Who needs cookies.....I'll just take the ice cream.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Cookies and cream flavor ice cream. With cookies.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Oh come on....pass the cookies and let's just get going.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Hey y'all, watch this...Popsicle Shavettes!

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

In the Good Old Summertime!

The Cartel is proud to welcome you to the July 2016 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus thread. June was here and gone in a flash it seems. But, we had a number of successful Rules and lots of good Focuses. And I'm sure it will continue into the heart of summer. Things get busy as people go on vacation, the 4th of July happens this coming weekend, kids go to camp, people go to ball games, but.....we'll be right here to start your day off right or end it right or be there through the middle of it to keep your shaving addiction fed and your knowledge growing! Oh, and we might even have a shenanigan or two show up.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! Jump in and let the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of people you'll ever meet help you along. Ask questions, show us your gear. There's nothing about shaving we don't like to see and hear. Even if you are just starting with a VDH razor and soap, we value you along with everyone else and we want you to become a part of this great community. It won't take long for the enablers within each of us to have you loaded down with razors, soaps, cremes, brushes and enough blades to sink the Titanic. Oh wait, already sunk.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success. (We may find out shortly if you can use popsicle sticks on blades or if we really should be committed as my wife suggests.)

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. Some, perhaps unfortunately, have followed my lead lately, but hey, no pain no gain. At the same time, practice makes perfect, and we have already learned how bad equipment can be and still produce a great shave with proper technique.

Now, on to the facts in the words of the one, the only, @Bama Samurai: (Please rise)

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out.. I'm dedicating this to be “The Good Old Shavertime” - a month of great shaves, or ever better ones for those learning for the first time, or perhaps for the first time on new gear, or just for those who want to continue getting great shaves every day.

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. (Maybe I should phrase that “experienced” members)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. You may not say anything negative about Russian blades, especially Voskhod. The Cartel is listening.
    7.Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to JULY! So first things first.....group hug.....a colder one to offset the heat..........and off we go!

1. group hug.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to another great month!! As I mentioned earlier (in the June thread) I will be starting a long term project this month trying at least 109 blades using an H2 Gillette Slim. Here are the blades I'll be using and the order. Three days per blade. I'll repost the details when I start which should be within the week. Waiting for the razor to arrive from @Keithmax . More details, dates etc. to come, but you can see the blades and if you want to follow along and share some of them with me this will give you a general idea. I'm sure I"ll be adding a few so those will just be announced ahead of time as they fall into place. Let's make July fantastic!!

1. Sharp Star

2. Dorco ST-300

3. Dorco Prime

4. Zorrik SS

5. Shark Spr Stainless

6. Rapira Swedish

7. Royal Red

8. Gillette Stainless

9. Silver Star Stnlss

10. Timor

11. Rockwell Razors

12. Treet Double Edge

13. Royal Stainless

14. Treet Falcon

15. Gillette Silver Blue

16. Qball Platinum

17. Wilkinson

18. Bic Astor

19. Asco SS (Red)

20. V12

21. Bolzano Superinox

22. Gillette 7 SP

23. Crown Platinum

24. Zaza SS

25. Merkur SP

26. Lord Classic SS

27. Polsilver Super Iridium

28. Racer SS

29. Tomy

30. Astra – SP

31. Wizamet Super Iridium

32. Supermax Platinum Plus

33. Sharp

34. Centwin SP Malhotra

35. Lord Super Stainless

36. Viking's Sword

37. 7a.m. Hi Platinum

38. Treet New Edge

39. Wilkinson Gillette

40. Sputnik

41. Crown Stainless

42. Shark Super Chrome

43. Treet Trig

44. Gentleman

45. Treet Classic

46. Supermax Blue Diamond

47. Rimei

48. Supermax Stnls Plus

49. Astra – SS

50. Perma Sharp Super

51. Supermax Chromium

52. Elios Inoxidable

53. Supermax Spr Stainless

54. Rise Stainless Vidyut

55. Gillette Sharpedge

56. Rapira Platinum Lux

57. Gillette 7 SS

58. Supermax Titanium

59. Treet Dura Sharp

60. Crystal

61. Gillette Permasharp

62. Topaz Platinum Malhot

63. Zae

64. Asco SS (Orange)

65. Schick Premium

66. Derby

67. Kai

68. Laser SP Malhotra

69. Personna Blue

70. Gillette 365

71. Rapira SS

72. Ladas

73. Treet Silver

74. Gillette Rubie

75. Dorco ST-301

76. Personna Platinum

77. Rainbow SS

78. Supermax Platinum

79. Rise Platinum Vidyut

80. Rapira Chrome

81. Treet Platinum

82. Racer SP

83. Laser Stainless Malhotra

84. Laser Ultra Malhotra

85. Treet 7 Day Platinum

86. Eddison Stainless

87. Big Ben SS

88. Gillette Platinum

89. Supermax Spr Platinum

90. Personna Med Prep

91. Dollar PL Vidyut

92. Bic CP

93. Nacet

94. Treet New Steel

95. Treet New DE

96. Voskhod

97. Topaz Stainless Malhot

98. Croma Diamant

99. Treet King

100. Gillette Super Thin

101. Feather New Hi Stainless

102. Vincent

103. Vijay Malhotra

104. Lord Platinum

105. Zorrik SP

106. Supermax Stainless

107. Lord Super Chrome

108. Concord

109. Asco SS (Red/Blue)

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is GDC worthy stuff for this thread. This will make you gather much data and observation it will be amazing. Big stuff.

4. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Great start to the July Thread, and can't wait to get started in here with a new Focus. Am I uhum, an experienced member now or a new guy? Well anyway I'm glade to start my third focus with you guys in here. Got one more shave in the June thread and then it's over here for some fun and dare I say Shenanigans.;)

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks Chris. Very kind words. I just hope I'm able to create something out of this that is informative, helpful and useful to someone at some point. And, of course, it will be interesting to see if my shaves compare with those who choose to join in when they can. I've figured out that if I don't add any blades to the list I will be at this for a year and three weeks. That's a bit daunting, but it should be a fun time as well.

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well let's see, three months in, you've acquired some nice gear, performing some very nice shaves and have been threatened with a CT. That's getting pretty experienced around here. And as to saying shenanigans?......

dare.jpg

7. BearCWY

I cant wait to read your findings and join in where I have the blades to match up!:)

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome back everyone! If it's you're first time on this thread, we're very glad you're here!

I plan on spending the month talking blades with Neal. My rule is a blade trial. If you're new and wanna talk fundamentals, this is the place. If you can shave with it, we can help you figure it out.

Looking forward to an insightful July! Thanks Neal (@NCoxSTL) for kicking off the festivities. Let's do it!

9. BearCWY

Amen and please pass the Cookies!

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

(Raises hand)
    "Uh, Neal @NCoxSTL . I have two questions. How did you decide the order of the 109 blades to be tested? And why does the mail take longer when you are expecting a package?"
    waiting.gif
    I'll shave along with you using my Gillette 195 at the settings to match when I have the blades you are using.
    I enjoyed last months Rule using just one brush. I'm thinking this month I'll do a Focus of 10 days each of badger, boar, and synthetic. I haven't decided if I want to limit myself to just one soap.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well limiting to one soap would give you some good data on how each brush responds differently to the soap. On the other hand, using different soaps just gives you that many more data points on how each style brush works with those soaps!

I chose the blade order using my old friend random.org. I debated doing them in groups by manufacturer, country of origin, etc., but I think random selection will give the best return on information. I think, from past experience, when I focus on one location/factory at a time I lose the differences between blades. Often they are very minute and subtle and by using different blades in between or mixed in it helps me feel what's really going on.

And yes, waiting for a package is like watching water boil. It...........never...........seems............to............get............here. :angry032:

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My focus will be split in two parts. I am going to spend the July 2 -12 in Thailand doing a detox program, go for my health but not fun. While I'm in a foul mood doing my fasting detox program I will focus one shavettes. I will bring my Dovo, Feather DX and a focus slim. The Feather/CJB razor is the one style of razor that still cuts me up. It seems while doing detox hidden in the hills of Phuket it's ok if I look like I was in a cat fight.

After I get home I think I will do a soap/cream focus and force myself to use the same one 3 or 4 days in a row.

Let the shenanigans begin.

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

assuming you can get to try two different blade per week Id say you have the next year mapped out for you. I do not have any of the sharp stars. So my first opportunity to join you will be with the Dorco ST300. Since I am an every other day shaver you will be on to your next blade as I am finishing up my third shave with the first blade.

14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

You've got me beat. The first one on hist list that I have is #15 (GSB), so I don't get to join in the fun until mid-August. :(

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've begun to match types of soaps to brush. Harder soaps work better for me using a stiff bristle boar. I'm OK with the scrubby scritchy which has lessened as my boars have pretty well broken. Softer soaps, croaps, & creams get the badger. Last month I limited my soap variety to four samples. I'm looking to visit scents that I've been missing, and figure out where synthetic fits into my set.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I agree that the hard soaps like stiff boars. My Silvertip also seems to work well with them, but equally as well with the softer soaps. My horse seems better with soft soaps but can work Tabac well, though it struggles with the Fat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

17. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thursday Shave
    [​IMG]
    Brush- RazoRock Tri-Colored
    Razor- Clauss Fremont, O. U.S.A. SR, Schick Type G
    Blade- Schick (4)
    Soap- Stirling Barbershop
    Post Care- Crystal Alum
    Thayers Witch Hazel with grapefruit EO and M-Bomb
    Osage Rub

First time ever using a SR and I'm happy to say I survived. I only did my right cheek and neck but there was zero blood. It was difficult at first finding the angle but once I did it went great. I made the Stirling a little thin and as usual, it performed great. I did three passes and started each one with the SR and finished with the Schick for the rest of my face. I only did WTG with the SR but did WTG, XTG and ATG with the Schick. I did a final cleanup everywhere with the Schick and I'm BBS with very little irritation. I finished up with the Osage Rub which is quickly becoming my favorite. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

18. BearCWY

Congrats on your start and move toward the Dark Side:signs136:, I'm new to SR shaving too. I've done 3 so far and since I'm right hand dominant I found using my left hand a bit of a challenge. What I started doing was shaving with my DE or injector left handed on my left side and right handed on my right side about 3 weeks before I tried my SR. I would suggest you do similar it will make it easier when you go to shave the left side of your face.:)

19. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thanks for the advice. I spent the month of April trying to use my left hand in preparation for a SR. The problem is my left hand is controlled by an alien that is not part of my body. The thought of using it with a straight gives me chills.

20. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

This month (and following) I'll be watching Neal's blade tests and occasionally following along. As I don't shave every day, I'll join in on a blade, and after using that blade for three shaves, I'll join in on the next blade up that I have in inventory. While waiting for the next blade to come up, I'll alternative between my R41, the ATT, and one of my straights. For the blade test I'll probably use a superspeed (mild) Weber (Medium) and the R41 (aggressive).