July 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Any chance you're joining us for Cinco de Julio?

1. Of course. In fact, I save my popsicle sticks for just this occasion!

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Of course not. I'm sane.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I'll think about it but I'm too busy eating cookies.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. I'll let you know when I get to St. Louis.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Monday shave

Back to work and focusing on finishing some soaps. The Fili had a very nice and produced a very nice shave. Time to make some doughnuts now.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Filarmonica 13
    Strop: Mastro Livi
    Brush: Rooney
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: Stirling
    AS: Fine Snake Bite AS,
    Scent: Dior Fahrenheit

IMG_5035.jpg

Paul76, Drygulch, NCoxSTL and 11 others like this.
  2. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Good luck and best wishes to you and your family Rick, during this difficult time. Addiction is a difficult struggle, and requires a lot of support, may you and your family have the strength to endure and triumph in this difficult battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 7 others like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Pretty neat, Charlie :)

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Heading home after a great weekend

Travel SOTD
    Tabac Shave Stick
    AoS Pure Badger Brush
    Winchester Razor
    Stirling Green After Shave
    Have a blessed Sunday![​IMG]

Paul76, Drygulch, NCoxSTL and 13 others like this.
  5. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

In June, I quietly went about my 6c focus, and got
    really great shaves. I discovered Polsilver SI are my number 1 blade, and I began learning to face lather, which I quickly beginning to love. A few days ago, I got a new Game Changer in the mail, I have been using it last 3 days, loving the shaves I'm getting with it. So for July, I will be focusing on using my Razorock Game Changer. I will probably experiment with a few different blades, and just enjoy my shaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Safe travels, Brian.

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That is a pretty Fili, Keith!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Another great teacher shave Brian! Save travels!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Drygulch, jtspartan, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  9. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, we hear way too many stories, and it’s everywhere these days. I’m wishing for the best outcome for your entire family, Rick.

Paul76, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Straight Razor newbie.

Today....
    Tried to strop on the paddle that I bought for my kitchen knives. Found it awkward and difficult keep flat heel to toe. Moved over to the hanging and liked it better. Followed the recommendations Glen gave me. Was careful to keep the spine contact. Took it slow and gentle.

Changed my grip up a little. Feels more comfortable with only 1 finger in front of the scales.

Shaved my arm a little to get a feel for the touch and angle. Much better on the face this time.

Did most of 1 pass, but laid back on the tricky spots. Finished up with the Focus. Brought the alum back out (had not needed lately) and got a little noise right where I felt I wasn't shaving well, otherwise quiet. Still got a long way to go.

Satisfied overall. Thanks to all who contributed suggestions. This will be a fun learning process.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks to all for the prayers and positive thoughts. My girl is a smart one. She's going to get this figured out. She's meeting with my father, a retired RN, at an outpatient clinic tomorrow to start a 30 day program. In her case we're talking about a Rule, not just a focus. Meanwhile I'm enjoying lots of intense catch up Pawpaw time.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Paul76, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks, we are sitting in the Las Vegas airport for two hours. Any longer and I would start to get whiny

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thank you, Kevin @HolyRollah put new shoes on this razor, it was transformative.

Paul76, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July 2018

July 1

Razor - 1918 Gillette Old Style
    Blade - sharp-star.jpg (1)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Jayaruh #54
    Post - Alum

Well, July has arrived and in four days the popsicle sticks will come out to play in our annual Cinco de Julio celebration! I decided to honor the tradition by spending the month with all aggressive razors/blades etc. So, expect to see a lot of my Fatip, the Adjustables wide open (including the Futur clone), some shavettes and, of course, pain sticks. Should be a fun month. Going to start it up with the 1918 Gillette Old Style with a Sharp Star blade. Aggressive 100 year old razor with a sharp and excellent Russian blade - no better way to start. The JR54 and the Fat for lather that is absolutely perfect and two passes and touch ups later I'm as smooth as a baby's butt. Yep. We call that the BBS. Nice! Alum was quiet so all's well at Cartel HQ!

July 1 2018.JPG

Paul76, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  15. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Best wishes for your daughter and family, Rick. It is probably a very good thing she is there with you.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

1-2 de Julio, MCMXVIII A.D.

SRX
    Derby
    Barbasol
    Alum
    FW

:)

17. jtspartan

July 1st
    Gillette Old Type/ Lux Handle
    Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Jeeves OHS Key Lime SS
    Omega Travel Boar
    Thayers
    Captain’s Choice Bay Rum AS
    75FBA68D-13DA-44F0-B185-8A9BF672D429.jpeg
    This is my hotel set up for the next few days. I have a thick capped OT that I have neglected for awhile. When I bought it last year, it was quite gungy and when I cleaned it up I realized it was a frankenrazor. It had a mismatched, cracked ball end handle that wasn’t even the same colour. The head was minty, though. It is a smoother, but less efficient shaver than my earlier thin capped Canadian. I switched this Stainless Lux handle on to give it some heft and will use it this trip.
    Had a fine and smooth 2 passer this morning. I still think my other OT is a bit more efficient, but this was pretty silky.
    On a more important note, my daughter medaled in one of her dances today. Please excuse my proud dad moment:
    50DA3090-1509-45AC-9802-1569915C4E28.jpeg
    A couple more dances to come on Tuesday as well.

Not sure of my exact focus for when I get home. Thinking of trying to finish off a few soaps and use some recently neglected razors. The Popsicle Stick razor will probably appear again as well.

Have a great day all!

Attached Files:

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

July will continue with the MMOC except now with the added benefit of the perfect for travel stick on shelf I picked up at the Japanese $1.90 store. It and I are on a bus tomorrow for a three day visit to the lovely riverside town of Kampot near the Cambodian coast. The coast gets a lot more rain than Phnom Penh so I expect to do more reading than sightseeing.

Street food lunch of a very fine Thai papaya salad and some mystery meat bao. About $1.25.[​IMG][​IMG]

Paul76, Drygulch, NCoxSTL and 10 others like this.
  19. jtspartan

Shave fu lives!
    Sounds like a great shave, Clint. The pic is, as per usual, superb.
    Wow, super collection of SS’s, Jim. Sounds like a great focus.
    Congrats, Charlie. So that is what a full puck finished looks like. It has been so long I’ve forgotten...
    I think you’all love the Pre war Canadian Tech, John. Congrats!
    Excellent review, Andrew, and a top notch combo as well.
    Cool looking Rooney, Keith. Is it vintage?
    Great kit, and safe travels Brian!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  20. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm in for July.
    I'll only use this gear until August:

Razor
    - Gillette Tech (England 1979 with aluminum spiral/plaid ball end handle and zamac no-logo top cap).
    Blade- I'll continue using my June 30 day Brit Wilkinson Super Sword Edge (with 17 shaves from June on it now).
    Soap- Tabac puck.
    Brush- Plisson "La Maison du Barbier" synthetic with faux ivory handle.
    Aftershave- Nivea Men "Cooling" Aftershave Balm with a few drops of Tabac Eau de Cologne blended together.

Paul76, Drygulch, RyX and 13 others like this.