Just asking..

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Manumik, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

Hey guys!
    I'd like to know what you do and don't like about Shavettes?
    And would you see Shavettes on the same level as a Straight Razor?
    I appreciate those who would comment. Thanks!

2. RobertTaylor

RobertTaylor Member

Straight or safety onlý

Manumik likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Pros:
    Lack of maintenance. Pop a new blade in whenever you want.
    Blade choice.
    Cost of entry

Cons:
    Depending on the model, many shavettes are more flexible (handle and blade holder) than a straight razor. The blade itself tends to be more rigid at the edge than a straight razor.
    The angle is not intuitive except with a few brands.

Long bladed shavettes that take Personna hair shaper blades or the Kai or Feather Artist Club (AC) blades are the closest you can come to a straight razor shave. It's easiest if I compare it to shaving with double edge vs. single edge razors. The technique is the same, the feel is different. The holders that most look like actual Japanese straight razor blades in either kamisori or western folding style, and take Feather AC blades will be the easiest to learn proper angle on.

All of the skills learned on a shavette will transition from the shavette to the straight. You'll still need to learn how to strop and hone after transitioning. It's the difference between knowing how to drive a car, and knowing how to fix it too. This also applies to the question are they "on the same level?"

You never have to worry if a shavette is sharp enough. You also miss out on the joy of caring for a live steel edge. Honing a straight or stropping a straight razor can be a deeply meditative moment in your day.

4. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Wow that's deep

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Pros: Dunno, haven't got past its biggest Con yet: Pain and blood!

PLANofMAN and BigMike like this.
  6. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

I like the simplicity of the shavette when traveling. I am a retired seaman and aboard ship a shavette was much more convenient. A lot less gear to pack and to fly with. At home of course I prefer a straight razor.

Maintaining a very close shave angle helps cut down the blood and irritation. At its best, my half-DE type shavette gave me shaves every bit as good as a straight. If I let my attention wander sometimes I had to pay in blood. I got best results with Feather blades.

Manumik, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I found shavette are less forgiving, more blood in the beginning. You will not know you cut your self until you see the blood. Straights are more forgiving and usual give a warning before drawing blood. Both till deliver an excellent shave but I find it easier to shave with a straight,

Maintenance is clearly easier with a shavette, pop in blade and you are good to go. Learning to strop is easy and a leather strop plus a pasted strop and you can maintain an edge for a while. If you go the straight razor first route I high recommend do not try to learn to shave with a straight and hone at the same time. You need to get a razor that is properly honed so you know what a good edge feels like.

Either one you will need patience to learn to use. Folklore is that 100 shaves are needed for proficiency. If I can learn to do it so can you. There is a great zen quality to open blade shaving, it requires undivided attention. You are not going to die from using an open blade razor and likely you will not even get any permanent scars.

Take the plunge!

Manumik and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

Hey guys, thank a lot! This was really helpful! I had some similar experiences over the years.
    A the moment I only use shavettes, eaven though I love straight razors more.

I was asking this question because I'm working on a new shavette for more than two yeas now.
    For me 99% of all shavettes are just tools. A straight razor just has more character.

My goal was took the design philosophy, the love for high-quality materials and attention to details from those high-end custom-made straight razors and combined them with the practical aspects of a modern shavette.
    And actually I am almost done.

I just made the experience that so many men love the Idea of straight razor shaving, but they don't start because they don't want to hone and strop it. Even though that a part of the charm of a SR :D.

The very sharp blade in combination with a too light shavettes made us to use more pressure, that often ends in cuts, which is intimidated to a lot of beginners.

That's why it came to my mind that I could Invent a razor who eliminates the downside of a Shavette.
    I'm in the last state of prototyping and got already great feedback. I will share more information soon if you are interested.

Looking forward to getting more useful answers and exiting discussions :D

Stay save!

PLANofMAN, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Can't wait to see what you design. The shavette closest to a straight razor that I have used is the Feather DX, it is heavy and feels like using a wedge grind razor. That said I do prefer the feel of a well honed straight. Please post you work as you make progress.

Edison Carter and Manumik like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was one of the people consulted early in the design process. If the final product is anything like the early design prototypes, it's a good looking razor. More western in appearance than a Feather, with the ability to use a wide variety of blades. More than that, I will not say.

Edison Carter, Manumik and Keithmax like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I find I’m a little heavy handed for shavettes. That saying, I get shaved, and I rather like the ride. But alas, I find myself over shaved. Just not a comfy shave that a de, se, or a straight razor give me.

12. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

I find that the most important factor to control is the shave angle. I keep the spine almost dragging on my face, with a shavette, and keep the skin stretched very tight. Pressure is important but angle and stretching are more important. And using a nice sharp blade like the Feather DE. The DE format is very cheap, especially if you buy by the 100. I get 7 to 10 shaves from one half of a blade, about twice what I get from the same blade in a DE razor. The lower shave angle helps a lot with making the blade last, as well as making the shave more comfortable. Also I recommend never going for the whole three pass routine. I use a single pass, with shavette or a nice sharp straight. Two passes only occasionally. Three passes with a shavette is way over the top, to me.

Edison Carter, PLANofMAN and Manumik like this.