Just curious... Why is Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum so popular?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rockds, Jun 24, 2011.

1. rockds

rockds New Member

I am going to invest in a nice aftershave, but unsure as to which one to go for.

Why is Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum so popular with wet shavers? Why not something more modern? Is there a particular reason for it's popularity?

Personally, I quite like the old stuff when it comes to a WS's... but some modern AS's are nice too.

Just interested in what you guys have to say:D

Erik Redd likes this.
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I've only smelled the regular Clubman, so I can't speak for the VIBR, but I find the regular truly repulsive. I can't imagine how anyone could like the smell of that stuff, yet a lot of people do. Just personal taste, I guess. People also like the familiarity and heritage of an old brand, I know I do. Just can't do the Clubman. :sick007

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Prolly because it just smells "right."

Dominica is a very nice Bay Rum, but it can come across as overly spicy to come folks.

The Clubman variety is very classic without being overly spicy.

Kind of like Tabasco; it is hot, spicy, and in your face, yet Crystal's is spicy and flavorful, but not overbearing.

I have not tried Superior 70, but I bet it is closer to Clubman than Dominica.

vincentcat likes this.
  4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Cause it burns like the fires of hell...I prefer superior 70.

It has a nice scent though, and really nice staying power.

5. rockds

rockds New Member

All fair points and interesting comments. I'll give it a go.

Can anyone recommend a place to get it that HAS Paypal and that ships to Ireland?

I'm currently using Taylor's of Old Bond Street Witch Hazel AS Balm... it is alcohol free and has a very refreshing smell.

6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I slot VIBR as a high alcohol-high spice BR, right along with Dominica. Though they have some differences, both give a firm burn which on certain days, I like alot. VIBR to me has notes of vanilla, is sweeter than Dominica, and seems to last longer. Superior 70 is a high alcohol-low spice BR, whereas Masters and TSD are low alcohol-low spice variants. All are good, just different, and there are many others available also. Each of these are low cost, so experimenting will not break the bank.

7. rockds

rockds New Member

Great! Thanks:D

8. Nicktheswede

Nicktheswede Member

I think its perhaps because its known as a tride and true. Its known to work, its known to smell good. If something has a great reception your more likely to buy it than a newer product.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  9. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

If you are having trouble ordering certain brands and having them shipped internationally, there are tons of different recipes online for making your own AS at home, and yes there are many Bay Rum recipes as well.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm not sure if this is a reason it is so popular or not, but since it burns, mixing it with menthol gives you twice the sensation when the freeze kicks in. Sensory thrill ride all in one nice smelling, inexpensive, long lasting bottle.

11. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

:sihns011 plus, it can be found locally at Walgreens around here.

12. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Guess I need to go to Walgreens!:D

I haven't had the chance to try the Clubman, but I've got a bottle from TSD Bay Rum with Xtra Menthol, a bottle of Dominica Bay Rum, and a bottle of C O Bigelow Bay Rum from Bath and Bodyworks.

The Dominica does have a very spicy almost overbearing smell in the bottle. It smells better after you have it on for a little while. A little burn from alcohol.

I like TSD Bay Rum. Nice smell and has no burn.

The Bigelow, which I've been told they no longer make, has a very good smell and is very soothing like TSD. My wife had to search for it online. She gave me a bottle for Father's Day.

None of the Bay Rums that I've tried so far last very long which disappoints me.:( I'm one of those that likes to smell it hours after I put it on.

I would like to know about GABELS Bay Rum After Shave Lotion Made with Original Bay Rum Oils from the Virgin Islands.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVIVYW/?tag=thshde-20

I found it on Amazon and the reviews are very good. Anyone try it before?

I'll bet Amazon will ship to you.

13. rockds

rockds New Member

I can't get Clubman Bay Rum anywhere. Amazon and drugstore.com say they won't ship this particular item to Ireland, and any other place that I have found that do stock it, charge way over the odds for it and then also charge a silly amount (some charge $15) for shipping... I simply won't pay it.

I might try Taylor's of Old Bond Street BR http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatalog/aftershaves-and-cologne.html Just another one for HDFlame to consider :)

14. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

I'd be willing to buy it on Amazon and ship it to Ireland for you at whatever the actual cost is. I don't know what the shipping would be, but the USPS has Priority Mail small boxes for a flat rate to ship overseas.

It may be more thatn you'd like to pay??

15. rockds

rockds New Member

WOW! Amazing! Thank you so much for your kindness... it is very good of you to go to that effort, mate :D:D

In this (http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25104) topic it is said to be on sale for €1.98 in Wal-mart and Walgreens... other then that drugstore.com seem to do it for the best price... or the best that I found, anyway. I'd be happy enough with paying for standard shipping, every cent counts these days :happy102

I could pay you via Paypal?

Thank you again a million times mate:D

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If it is on sale that is great, when I purchased it last year, it was about $7 US.

Just a heads up.

17. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

We have a Walmart and a Walgreens. Let me check locally for you. PM me your email address and I'll let you know if I can find it and how much it'll be. Then you can decide if you want it.

18. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

OK, It's on order! Just ordered 3 bottles from Walgreens. I got FREE shipping but had to order a bottle of glycerin to get it over $25! Been thinking about getting some glycerin anyway. Wanted to try mixing it with some menthol crystals.

When it gets here, I'll get it boxed up and figure out shipping costs. Be sure to email me your address.

Have you had a chance to try the Voshod razor blades? If not, I'll send you a pack. Absolutely the best blades I've tried yet!

19. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

I've never tried any of the Taylor Old Bond St. products. Read a lot about them though.

20. rockds

rockds New Member

I have there camomile deodorant and the aforementioned AS gel which is really nice. I also bought their Bay Rum, which is lovely... but I still really want to get the PCVIBR as it seems to be the one that'll hit the spot:D