Just dont think a straight is for me.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Tarheel1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Tarheel1

Tarheel1 Member

Well an again I shaved with a straight. Still pretty crappy shaves. I feel like it has been around 8 hours after I bbs with a de. I do 2 passes one with the grain and one across on my cheeks. Still cut above my upper lip as this seems like a hard place to shave. Neck still not close. Going to send off the razor off to be honed to see if that is the problem but it is taking off a lot when I shave.

2. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

There is no shame in quitting using straights. Some people are DE shavers and some are Straight shavers and many of us dabble in both. The only thing that should bring shame upon a shaver is if he or she goes back to a multi bladed cartridge thingy.

3. Deryan

Deryan New Member

All great advice,hang in there Tarheel it will come.whacky097

4. Tarheel1

Tarheel1 Member

Thats it I am officially done with straights. I am sick and tired of not being able to shave under my nose without blood and pain. no matter how good I do on the rest of my face this is not worth it nor is it for me. Guess I will sell the 2 straights and strop for 50.00.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I don't think you've given it enough time....it took me months to get the hang of them

6. Tarheel1

Tarheel1 Member

I can deal with the crappy shaves, I can deal with stroping it taking 30 min to an hour to shave: However. I can not deal with a cut every time I shave under my nose with it. I am not going to give it more anymore time. I should not be cutting myself after several weeks of shaving with a straight. I wanted to throw the damn thing out because as soon as it touched my skin it pulled then cut. It is only this spot that cuts but it is still not worth it and I have run out of patients with it. Straights are not for everyone and maybe these are not sharp enough but ohh well will pass them on to osmeone else who apreciates it more.

7. SilverB

SilverB New Member

I too just started using a Straight. I was a little dissapointed in myself cause when I first started using a DE, I had great shaves from the beginning.

Using a straight takes a lot more practice and patience. Just stick with it. I am. Plus, I think its pretty cool to have the skill to shave with a Straight. It feels really...sophisticated and classy.

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I suffered from a cut...the same cut the same place....under my left nostril. I found that changing my angle of attack slightly helped out. But, you're right - they're definitely not for everyone...

9. Tarheel1

Tarheel1 Member

i might try a round point but I know for sure these 2 razors are not for me. Maybe I could trade someone these 2 for a round point. and give it a shot and see if that makes a difference.

10. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

Like I have said before, there is no shame in giving up on straight shaving. Just don't go back to cartriges. A DE is fantastic too.

11. Sailor

Sailor New Member

I would love to shave with a straight but all the skin stretching would get old if I had to do it every time. I just thing there is something nostalgic about shaving my face with nothing more then a really sharp knife.

12. Tarheel1

Tarheel1 Member

Dont worry will stick with de if I give up on straight.

13. I wasn't going to post, but to be honest I feel like given the time you've spent with a straight, you may just have not given yourself a fair shake.
    Straights aren't for everyone, and I'm not here to make sure that everyone sticks to a straight or suffers the consequences... but... we have people...

Seriously, it sounds like you think it would be cool to shave with a straight and it sounds like you are making some progress. Don't give it up yet. You still have the potential to become a master. You just need some patience. It isn't easy to shave with and its certainly not easy when you're first starting out, but it is worthwhile and in a few months you'll feel like a pro.

I have drawn plenty of blood. We all have. Some of my friends who I've convinced to start with DE's have sliced themselves up pretty good but they stuck with it, and now they can't stop talking about how satisfying it is. Shaving can be a pleasure, as you have learned. Shaving with a straight can make you feel like even more of a man, no kidding. Soccer is a sport and its worth playing, unless you're playing football... they're both sports, but there's a difference. Full contact vs. ...whatever soccer is.... its just different...

I promise. Don't quit yet. Seriously man. Just stop cutting yourself under the nostril... what is it that you're doing that keeps getting you there? Figure it out and stop it. Do something else.
    You can do this. Back in the day, there was no such thing as a DE. Michaelangelo's David didn't have a beard... and he sure as hell didn't use a DE... don't quit yet.

14. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

On the eve of my first straight shave, I gotta say that initially the post was a bit of a downer. Then I looked more closely and noticed that the big problem was the moustache area. Problem solved, I haven't shaved under my nose since 1990. Cheeks promise to be a piece of cake, the neck may be a little sporty other than that, once I get past the chin, I'm home free right? I switch hands with a safety razor so I can't imagine switching hands with a straight will be that difficult, right? I'm nervous as hell but very excited at the same time. Tomorrow morning can't come soon enough. May the patron saint of shave geeks everywhere be with me. More tomorrow.

15. Philq

Philq New Member

I do not know if this will help, but my barber from the old days (he has since passed) taught me. It took a very long time and the best advice he gave me was to lather up a balloon and practice on that.When you can shave the balloon without breaking it then go to your face. Believe me you learn how to handle the razor after breaking that balloon and exploding the lather all over the place.