Just For Fun, and Take a Chance, Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, May 10, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

What Straight Razor, or Hone, did you order, just for fun, to see if it was worth the chance. Please post the roll of the dice pics, and an explanation of its success, or failure.

Here is one:

Perfect Professional Razor
    15/16th

This razor has good dimensions, and I was hoping it was made of some nice Chinese Steel. $6.44 later, and several weeks of waiting, I got my answers. It was very soft steel, like hardened tin foil. I think the Pakistani razors use better steel. The tip looked like it had been hit, and was bent, and the edge, near the heel end, was rolled over, completely over, folded over is more appropriate. I will not even waste my time trying to hone this. I will say, that it will pass the HHT, but I will not let it touch my face.
    Well, I will see if I can send it back.

P5090938.JPG

P5090934.JPG

2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

This Geo W. Korn had a nasty looking chip and potential crack. It wasn’t attracting much attention so I took a chance it could be salvaged. @gssixgun somehow managed to salvage it without sacrificing a noticeable amount of steel.

Geo W Korn 7004 5:8 AOS HASS SR AOS.JPG

3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Just for Fun... wanted to try a Coticule- cheap. So I found this:
    EE5431DB-28E9-4D06-9322-A2132E4CCA65.png
    After some DMT elbow grease, this beauty of a stone revealed itself.
    60108BC3-AD15-463B-8C54-75C0921FDA0D.jpeg
    Been using this for quite some time now, but can bevel set all the way to pre-finish. Could say my “most valuable” hone.
    Fun thread Scott!
    Tom

Frijolero, Steve56, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It is a beauty of a stone. Many times, taking a chance pays off.

Steve56, oscar11, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Totally agree... plus, as you say, it is fun!

6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I got a combo convex Arkansas to see what I could do with them.

Not having more than one 'rat razor' for my education, I ordered a ZY and a Gold Dollar. I've heard comments about these that run the gamut.

Somebody is out there spending more for the Ebabies then I want to. (YES, I AM TALKING ABOUT YOU!) Less than I used to spend for a few packs of smokes.

See where it goes.