Just getting started in SF bay area

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by pandajye, Oct 11, 2018.

1. pandajye

pandajye Member

Hello Everyone,
    I have been lurking on a couple forums for a while now. I actually really dont like shaving and actually will normally use an electric shaver's trimmer end to quickly run cut down any growth after a few days. Anyways I find the idea of shaving with a straight razor interesting and a fun skill to have. So I am about to change jobs and decided to change my facial hair "care" plan.
    I was going to buy everything I needed from Larry at the whipped dog but I emailed him Tuesday and nothing so back at the forums and I am thinking I will just get a brush and soap from amazon or the marketplace and the strop and blade from esty, sylversteel (RocTraitor on reddit). he seems like a good low cost bet to start with his sight unseen blades. I was planning on spending the money on silvertip badger but for now save the money and stick with boar (maybe better for exfoliating)
    Moving forward I would like to get some nice vintage japanese razors and learn how to hone (assuming that skill will translate well to knife sharpening too). Will be watching a lot of youtube videos once everything comes in.

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! You've definitely come to the right place to learn everything you need to know about straight razors. The "dark siders" around here will jump at the chance to help you get going. Jump into the 30 Day Thread (link is in my signature) and say hello as well. I guarantee a few of the experts in straights will welcome you with open arms. I'd name names (@Drygulch @mrchick @Keithmax @Paul76 ) but I don't want to embarass them. If you need anything or have any questions at all don't be shy! This is the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of shaving enthusiasts you'll ever find.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome! I'm sure you can learn the skills for straight shaving with help here. I jumped in with a straight, strop, soap and brush right away. My first shave was bad enough that I went back to cartridges for a year. I would suggest you get a DE or Injector razor first, and learn how to make a good lather and using an edge instead of an electric to start. The Shave Den shop has a brush and soap set for a pretty cheap price right now.
    Get that, a vintage razor, and some blades to start. I didn't stay with DE long before I jumped to straights, but it really helped me prepare. If you are like me and want to jump in anyways, please join us over at the 30 Day thread, and we will help you as we can.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    dmshaver, Zykris, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome aboard.

6. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Welcome the dark side is a great place. I too hated shaving. I started with cartridge razors and barely shaved, switched to straights and have never looked back. My first straight was one from Larry and was very happy with it. They are a little intimidating at first, but it’s not as hard as it looks. It does take around three months to get good consistent results though. Feel free to ask any questions

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Keithmax, RyX and NCoxSTL like this.
  7. Orville

Orville Active Member

Welcome, I already see some good advice posted above. Of course you are always free to do as you please but trying to dive headlong into straight razor shaving means learning a lot all at once. Not to mention increasing the odds of a really bad experience. I used my DE razor to touch up what I couldn't quite get with my straight until I got good enough shaving my problem areas with the straight. Not to mention you won't want to try and hurry up a shave with a straight razor before you're good at it.... It could get ugly fast.

dmshaver, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

NCoxSTL likes this.
  10. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

The best prices of advice that I recieved was good skin stretching, and only do what your comfortable with and finish up with another razor. (Your comfort zone will expand as you progress). Make sure you have plenty of time to shave without distractions. My first straight shave took almost an hour, so if you have kids it’s best to start learning after they are in bed.

dmshaver, Keithmax, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul nice to meet you.

The two most important things you will need is a truly shave ready straight razor and a strop.

Larry is a good source for a cheap but truly shave ready razor, many of started with his sight unseen razors. They are ugly but sharp. It can be tempting to buy from Ebay but you have no idea if you are receiving a good razor or if it is truly shave ready. If you want to go with a new razor that has been properly honed the I recommend The Superior Shave and Straight Razor Designs. Both send out excellently honed razors.

Here are a few basic tips from me:

Stick with it, it takes about 100 shaves to become proficient. While it is possible to shave with just your dominant hand, many find it easier to use both hands. It feels awkward at first but as your practice, you will build the muscle memory.

I am sure many of will jump in with more tips as you go down the path to the dark side.

dmshaver and Paul76 like this.
  12. pandajye

pandajye Member

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. If i was to go for new I definitely would go with The Superior Shave especially with their 20% discount but I like the entry point with a used shave (also the history of some blades so now I will have to keep my eye out for any deals on japanese vintage). I will be going all the way in with straights though I did look at DE but didnt like the idea of still having to have replacement blades like replacement cartridge. I am in this for the fun and getting a new skill set. Trust me I am not going for the perfect shave for now... as I technically dont even shave right now (though i did when i went in for my interview).

Good advice about shaving at night... my mornings are a bit rushed. Also appreciate a realist expectation on how long it will take to get the hang of this new skill. I have been getting a lot of good information from here and Badger and Blade forum. I feel these two places have much better information then what you can find googling for recommendations. Right now I am just watching the used market to see if I can get something good.

wristwatchb, RyX, dmshaver and 2 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

It is important that you get a razor that is properly honed. I bought a couple from The Superior Shave and his edges are excellent. If you buy used you may want to get honed by a professional, I highly recommend Glen @gssixgun

You can start with a new razor and then you can start the journey of adding vintage razors.

Honing and shaving with a straight both have long learning curves, well they did for me. I highly recommend you start with learning to shave and then once you get some consistency you start learning to hone.

RyX, Drygulch and Paul76 like this.
  14. Keithmax

Forgot to add the are many excellent vintage Japanese straights out there.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @pandajye from her in western NY. Glad you decided to join us at TSD.

16. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another NorCal/Bay Area shaver! Welcome!