Just got a Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mce00771, Jul 20, 2013.

1. mce00771

mce00771 Member

I am brand new to all of this, but I have been reading up and really wanted a Fatboy. Fortunately for me, there was a glut of them on ebay this week and I got one at a reasonable price. I am fairly excited. Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Very nice. :signs107:

3. mattyb240

mattyb240 Active Member

Plating looks good!

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Nice one! Great shavers. Hope you enjoy it.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Fat Boys are indeed a great shaver! Enjoy it & don't be afraid to 'crank' the dial!

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My advice for first time adjustable users:

Shave 1 - set at 3, make all passes, evaluate
    Shave 2 - set at 4, make all passes, evaluate
    Shave 3 - set at 5,...
    Shave 4 - set at 6,...
    Repeat until you reach that one setting that is just a tad too aggressive, back it down, lock it tight and now you have your sweet spot.
    Once you get the hang of it, you can do as others do
    -- some start low for the first pass, then crank it up for the last
    -- some start wild for the first pass, then crank down mild for the last

I leave mine locked at six for all three passes, but that's me.

Also, DO NOT TRY TO ADJUST WITH THE DOORS CLOSED. Open them slightly, make your adjustment, then tighten down. You'll reach a point that feels like it should stop, then take it a quarter turn more to lock it down.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  7. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Hey, I need one of these. :transport016:

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: FatBoys are great adjustable razors and clean/shine up well!! I.M.O. FatBoys are wonderful starter razors...I believe you will enjoy using this razor "VERY" much!! A FatBoy was my first vintage razor purchase and started my love of BullDog type handles(short/heavy)..Let me add the Slim, which was the 2nd adjustable Gillette came out with, is also a really nice adjustable, kind of like an adjustable Super Speed to me and of course the last Gillette adjustable the Super Adjustable, which was made in two versions a long handle and a short handle..All are "GREAT" shavers...:)

9. mce00771

mce00771 Member

Thank you so much for the input. I would never have thought to open the doors before adjusting. I am not sure how soon I will try this on my face. I am only 2 shaves in with a Super Speed, which I find extremely easy to use.

10. mce00771

mce00771 Member

I debated about what adjustable to buy. Just before I bought this one, I almost pulled the trigger on a long handle Super Adjustable from my birth quarter. When it came down to it, I just thought the FatBoy was a little bit more cool. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I know just how you feel..Thats why I have a couple of each :D....If it helps there is no wrong choice all of them are cool and shave well...

12. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Great looking razor.

13. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

Fatboys are great razors, I believe you'll enjoy it. Now get a sampler pack of blades and experiment to see what works best for you and your new razor.

14. Sea Doggy

Sea Doggy New Member

What year is this one?

15. mce00771

mce00771 Member

This one is an F4, so fourth quarter 1960.