Just In!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by FacialCarnage, Feb 20, 2013.

1. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

My new order from Royal Shave came in today. Has anyone tried any Imperial Barber products? This aftershave smells great and even better once the alcohol dries, but damn it burns after a close shave. I am thinking about diluting it some with Witch Hazel. Any suggestions on other aftershave splashes that do not have alcohol? I love my Lucky Tiger aftershave and that is my goto, but any others out there with a good manly smell? I am sick of all the 'fresh' 'oceany' 'ambercrombie' type smelling stuff out there.
    [​IMG]

JRod22 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  2. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Master's Bay Rum has alcohol, but not much, the alcohol is listed behind water and bay leaf oil on the ingredient list. It doesn't burn me like a lot of other aftershaves do. It can be found at Sally Beauty Supply.

Osage Rub has more water than alcohol too, it has a different sensation due to the menthol and eucalyptus, it's not the same burn as an alcohol.

But neither of these is alcohol free.

For alcohol free you might want to try an alcohol free witch hazel and add your own essential oils for scent.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  4. B-3

B-3 Active Member

"apply Generous Amount"
    Really means, "Use all you want, we have more "

JRod22 likes this.
  5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

What I do is use the regular witch hazel that doesn't have much of a scent and then layer on an AS of my choice on top. Typically this is Aqua Velva because I like the light smell that fades and the cooling effect. Some days when I feel the need to have a "manly" scent, I'll put either Old Spice or Clubman Special Reserve on top of my witch hazel. I have a fresh bottle of Lucky Tiger, been saving it for when my Witch Hazel runs out, thought it would be a nice change of pace with similar replenishing and soothing qualities. Is the scent on Lucky tiger too strong to layer on top of it?

6. FacialCarnage

Not at all, Lucky Tiger scent is a really light citrus scent and it gone by the time it dries. That stuff has been around for years and there's a reason why. I am going to try what you said though. Tomorrow I will shave using my Tabac SC and then I'll splash some WH and try a little Imperial Barber AS afterwards. I just hate the sting.

JRod22 likes this.
  7. FacialCarnage

Does Taylor of Old Bond st AS have alcohol?

8. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

The witch hazel should knock out most of the sting. Apply the AS before the witch hazel is completely dry. Let me know how it goes. Works nicely for me but my shaves are not ATG BBS. I imagine that opens up the door and invites in a whole new type of sting.

9. FacialCarnage

I tried that this morning and you are right, thanks. After a cold water splash I patted dry and then applied some WH and ran my alum block over my face and before it completely dried I splashed on some of the Imperial Barber AS and then sting was barely noticible. It was acutally just enough sting that I kind of liked it. If I was to apply that AS directly after shaving I'd imagine it would be something like the boy in 'Home Alone'