Just ordered a silvertip Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hayter, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

So I just ordered my first Silvertip brush and I havent recieved it yet. I ordered it from Whipped Dog. I am hoping I ordered the right size brush.

Here is what i ordered
    24mm knott
    65mm loft drilled to 20mm so the finished loft will be 45mm
    #B1014C Acrylic handle

It cost me 31 dollars as I ordered it to have the knott placed to a 45mm loft to gain some backbone to the brush. I tend to like the stiffer brushes. Is this a good starting point as i know I will be buying more brushes. The VDH pur badger i have is nice but it sheds hairs like mad every time I shave.

2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

WD has some very nice knots but that a lot of loft for a 24mm Silver Tip. I hope it works out for you.

3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I love my WD silver tip. I have no idea how tall mine was, I just know I paid $28 for it.

Hayter likes this.
  4. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

I had the handle drilled deeper to accomidate and take up some of the loft. The loft of the badger knott will be 45mm when it is made.

Yeah from what i can tell, the prices on thses brushes are far better than anything from one of the other manufacturers. Not to say they are better brushes, but for the "silvertip" you cant beat the price.

5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I have the WD Silvertip. It's a 22mm knot drilled the extra 10mm into the handle. You can see it in this picture here. Extremely happy with it and use it everyday. It does still shed hairs upon every use, have it since Jan 19th. The handle is 53mm tall, the loft is around 46-47mm, total height is 100-101mm. Very good buy. Will replace it at some point with a Simpson probably but a great intro to badger and a pleasure to use.
    new stuff 002 (2).JPG

Doryferon, Hayter and Lexicon Devil like this.
  6. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Oh man, I want one. I have enough to explain to SWMBO already though.

Hayter and srpavko like this.
  7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

You'll love it at those dimensions. BTW, my brush shed for a while but settled down very nicely.

Hayter likes this.
  8. Duran805

Duran805 Member

I want a new brush now. Lol

Hayter likes this.
  9. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

Well this is all good news. Sounds like i did the right thing and paying the extra 5 bucks. When i recieve it, I will post a picture of it.

10. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

We are waiting !

11. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

Well it came in today. I washed it and latherd with it to try and get the funk out of it. Its better but still has a faint smell to it.

[​IMG]

Whipped Dog Silvertip 24mm 65mm loft set to 45mm as the handle is srilled in to 20mm. The brush has some serious backbone to it. Its not a floppy brush by ANY means.

Here is the brsh compared to the other two that I have. Starting from lef to right. Whipped Dog silver tip, VDH Pur Badger, Shave Factory XS Boar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Acrylic handle is fantastic. It fits my hand perfectly and it whipped up a batch of lather really fast like 30 seconds fast. I tested it with the Pyratecove soaps and got a superlather in no time flat.

12. FireLion1983

FireLion1983 Member

I just bought the exact same brush, but I didn't get it drilled the extra 10mm. Starting to make me wonder if there's time to adjust my order.

13. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

having it drilled lower deffinately makes the brush stiff.

60 seconds with the brush soaked in hot water. This brush is AWESOME!
    [​IMG]

14. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Enjoy them !
    I ordered 24mm Black Badger from WD because i already have 6 Silveritps
    I am waiting for the parcel
    Thank you for the informations.

15. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

45/24 in Silvertip sounds like a brush I could really love.

16. Geo

Geo Active Member

niiiice brush

17. FireLion1983

FireLion1983 Member

I have yet to ever produce a lather so luxurious - what is that?

18. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

The soap is Pyrate Cove Bay-Rum and Ginger. Its a nice soap and lathers very well with the silvertip badger brush.

http://www.pyratecovesoapworks.com/

I have also used this brush with the C.O. Bigelow shaving cream from B&BW. It worked out just as good and the lather was even thicker.

JRod22 likes this.
  19. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

I just ordered one a few minutes ago how long does it take for shipping?

20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Depends on availability. But 5-7 days.