Just won a barber's hone

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Reformation Student, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I picked up a John Primble barber hone on auction. I don't have it yet but should in a few days. It has some small chips on the back and up near the logo area but the honing surface looks in great shape. All in all, it's a nice piece of Americana for my collection. I'll post some pictures when I get it if anyone is interested

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations!

You should know by now we like pics around here. :happy088

3. Reformation Student

I know, I know. :ashamed001

I didn't want to post the pictures from the seller as I'm unsure of copyright rules relating to auction pictures...but I WILL post when I get the hone...I promise :D

4. Reformation Student

Well, here's the pictures I promised.

The actual honing surface is free from any chips but does have some small holes. It doesn't seem to be an issue when using it though. I've already touched up my razor on this and I love it already. It did a very nice job and was very comfortable to use. I actually think I had an easier time using this than my large Norton 4k/8k. No complaints at all.

Next purchase, a Swaty. Hopefully soon.

Attached Files:

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Very nice Steve! I've been lookin at some of those myself!

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Verz nice indeed.

Unelss its double grit, zou wont be using the chipped side much. i have a swatz that is great for touch ups.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

That looks cool Steve. I'd be interested to know what you estimate it's grit to be once you get a chance to use it a bit.

James.

8. Reformation Student

James,

I'll let you know what I estimate after I use it a few times but from the couple of times I've used it already, I don't think it's more than 6k even though it is a smooth as glass. It took more stropping than usual to get a smooth shave, though it was every bit as sharp as I've gotten of the 8k Norton. Of course, as they say in Congress, "I reserve the right to revise and extend my comments" ;)

9. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

:) Indubitably my friend! I should add that to my signature, along with the addendum "Or to completely contradict my previous comments". But maybe that's covered in the "revise" bit.

Anyway, 6k atm? I found a hidden cache of natural Japanese stones and grabbed a few. A couple of them felt like 6k too, but as you say you can shave off them quite well with a bit of extra stropping effort. Sounds like an excellent score Steve, and I'll keep an eye open for Swatys for you. (Sometimes hones can go for less in Aus. as there's less of us over here - I picked up a nice little Escher last week for 150AUD off the Aussie ebay...)

James.

James.

10. Reformation Student

I'm bidding on a swaty now, but I don't seem to score success on those. Thanks for keeping a lookout for one. I appreciate it.

What's interesting about this hone is that it's alot of fun to use. So different from the Norton and a nice little step back in time, so to speak.

I don't know much about the Eschers. What kind of stone are they?

11. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Well, I don't know a tonne about them either, but from what I do know they are a natural waterstone that used to be mined by a company called Escher (along with others) from the Thuringen region of Germany. Thuringian stone is still being pulled out of the ground today, AFAIK.

For some reason, Eschers have taken on a mystical quality amongst the Thuringian stones - maybe because that particular company doesn't exist any more and is becoming rarer and rarer. I think I saw one go for somewhere in the order of 500 USD the other day, but mostly I've seen them bring in around the 300USD mark. I could be wrong about this, but it appears in the US that Rabbis favour them for sharpening whatever it is you call the thingy that they use to circumcise thingys with, so they are in demand from more than just straight users. Then there are the collectors too...

They give a nice, silky edge to a razor. I've heard some people put them in the 10-12k grit range. I don't know - I think it's fairly accepted that they are higher than 8k though.

That's about the limit of my knowledge of them (with a little conjecture thrown in for good measure ;))

James.

12. Reformation Student

Ouch, out of my price range. Remember, I got into straight razors in order to save money :happy102 What are you laughing at? I really did. :happy102