KAI vs. Feather Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jostalli, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever done a comparison between Feather and KAI blades. - I am still trying to find my main blade. I really like KAI but I am not real thrilled about their cost. I understand that in a matter of sharpness they are supposed to be just below Feathers.
    Can anyone confirm or deny?

2. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

May I ask what you use them in? Are they Double edge or Single edge?

3. Jostalli

I am currently using a vintage Gillette Tech - DE

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  4. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Or the Costco kitchen knife set from the same company.

5. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jostalli as far DE both are sharp as heck. This is fairly subjective but I prefer the Kai over the Feather as far as smoothness. Feathers for me at least start to shine after 2 or 3 uses. Hope this helps.

Jostalli likes this.
  6. Jostalli

so can those be my first straight razor?

7. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I found both KAI and Feathers to be quite similar in performance and sharpness. Both blades are fairly expensive but the Feathers are a bit easier to find.

8. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

My subjective impression is that the Feather blades are sharper. I rate blade sharpness on how easily the blade takes care of stubble in my moustache area, where a moustache would be if I had one ;) . The Feather comes out on top for me in that comparison. However, the Kai is an easier, more comfortable shave overall - smoother. I have to pay attention with Feather not to leave my face feeling like it lost the top layer. There are good deals on Feather, but Kai is more expensive than I care to pay.

moz68 likes this.
  9. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Lol, I dunno. It was a pretty stupid thing to post. But, I was at Costco a few days, and I saw a kitchen knife set, and it was by Kai. The logo was exactly the same as the razor blade company.

Jostalli likes this.
  10. shmuel

shmuel Member

My everyday shave is a Kai in my 37-C slant. For me, they are as sharp as Feather but smoother and longer lasting. Of course, with blades more than maybe anything, YMMV.

11. Jostalli

Thanks everyone for the great input. I have been working through a second round of my top 3 blades from my sample pack. I noticed that the KAI feels great when I am shaving but as the day wears on my face tends to fill a bit raw. I am probably still applying too much pressure. I have decided to use the Astra SP for my 30 day setup to work on my technique. Just waiting on the additional blade to come in.

MoAllen and VedderLG like this.