Kamisori questions

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Drygulch, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So this showed up in the mail today. The price was right, it was shave ready, and seemed to be the cleanest one he had. My wife says it looks like a prison shiv.
    IMG_5628.JPG
    It was smaller than I was expecting. Here it is next to a CJB handle, Korn The Real razor, with a 5/8 straight over the top.
    IMG_5629.JPG
    So I'm confident I can just take this into the bathroom and get a good shave with it. I thought it might be worth asking a few questions though.
    1. Which side is it that is supposed to stay on the face?
    2. Any tips to get the most out of it?
    3. I know honing on these is a little different, are they typically stropped the same as a western straight?
    4. How do you store one of these without damaging the edge.
    Hmm, did I just find a new rabbit hole full of sharp, shiny things?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I'm so jealous of you. Do you know name of it? If you zoom in on the kanji in the side I can double check for you. I can't wait until I finally get my kamisori!
    I obviously haven't shaved with one yet, but my understanding is that the flat side goes towards your face :) I'm sure better info will follow!
    I hope you enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Stamp side out.

gssixgun, Karl G, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

That is a right handed kamisori. The side with the writing goes away from the face.

Drygulch, Karl G, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

3. Yes
    4. Very carefully. Wrap/fold a piece of foam over the edge until you find a box to hold it

I'd be surprised if it were truly shave ready. The kami will let you know right away if it isnt

Btw: you can shave with it in traditional western fashion (both sides) despite being design for traditional usage (stamp side out). Using one single-sided in the traditional Japanes manner takes some real practice

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I agree with your wife, it does look like a prison shiv from Japan.

I have a box that came with my Rasupur kamisori. It is a wooden box with magnets that hold the razor in place.

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Aye it Does Look Like a Prison Shiv..SRs were Used By Many Allied & Enemy Troops During World War 1 & Favoured by Many for Hand to Hand Combat in the Trenches..Heavy Wedge Type SRs Were Favoured because they Were Heavy & Strong..They Nicked Named the Wedge Type SRs as "The Killer Razors"..:D

During Period's of Government's Ban on the Peasantry in Places Like Ancient China & Japan Being Allowed to Own & Train with Weapons..Many Favoured SRs & Kamisori Type Razors for Weapons because they were Legal to Own..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Drygulch, Karl G, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I shave with mine using both sides and it works fine. I know it's not traditional. Call me a rebel.
    Glen has a nice video on honing them.
    Nice catch!

Karl G, Waate, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  9. Waate

Waate Member

I do the same with no problem.

When I hone them I use about a 10 to 1 ratio. I do the same when stropping on paste. I strop on leather the same as any razor.

mrchick, Drygulch, Keithmax and 3 others like this.