Kamisori Shaving Video--First Try

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JimR, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Whisker Whacker

Whisker Whacker New Member

I've always wanted to have a Japanese straight, but I'm too chicken to use one. Nice video. Maybe one of these days I will overcome my fear. :ashamed001

2. Moe

Moe Active Member

Jim, Very nice. Thanks for sharing,,,,,,,,, makes me want one of those razors :D

3. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Congrats on the videos, Jim.

This is more related to your honing video. I have a JP friend who says to sharpen the ura (concave side) first to uraoshi (mirror finish) with my finest whetstone. Once that's done, then do a ratio of omote:ura where 9 out of 10 passes are on the omote. I have another friend who says to make most of my passes on the ura side. Whatever works, I guess.

My only concern is the amount of pressure you put on the omote when you were honing. I think you should use firm but light pressure. In time you'll lose the asymmetrical shape if you press too hard. Looking at your razor, your razor has lost most of its wedge shape.

4. JimR

JimR Active Member

Thanks Telly. I agree about the pressure, I guess I feel I was putting "firm but light" pressure on the razor, but it's definitely something to work on.

That video is actually the first time I've honed that particular razor--it's been in use at a barber shop for a good 30 years, which would explain the loss of shape.

As for honing the ura, that's an interesting idea...none of the razors I have have any apparent "mirror shine" on the ura, but they are all quite old. Is that for the initial honing, or for upkeep/maintenance?

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

A razor that old being used in a barbershop would explain the shape. That makes sense.

I was told to get the mirror finish for the initial honing. From then on, I should do the omote:ura ratio.

6. JimR

JimR Active Member

Ahh...good information to have!

Thanks. BTW, all my wakamisori are from the same source--my barber gave me 4 of his classics: two vintage Iwasakis, and two that I'm not sure about, my wife thinks the kanji read something like "Chikushino"...ring any bells?

7. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I should point out that I've honed all my razors by going ura to omote. I didn't find out about the omote to ura approach until all my JP razors were shave ready.

I don't recognize the name but post photos of the blades and I'll take a look.

8. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Mr. Mizouchi - Mr. Iwasaki's top apprentice - watched your video and he said that you're using too much pressure. You should be very gentle with the blade, using only the weight of the razor. It takes him about an hour to hone a new razor from start to finish.

9. JimR

JimR Active Member

:eek::eek::eek:

Homina homina He SAW the honing video?!

Oh man...

Thank you for letting me know...

10. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

He or one of his associates might post a honing video as well.

11. ROFL! :happy102

I'd probably wet myself too, Jim. But, for the record I thought it was top notch... which apparently shows how much I know as I'd really have to defer to the advice of experts like one of the guys who actually makes these.

Still, it is fun to watch you hone your japanese straight. There's good stuff in there. Plus, you use a real japanese straight... like an actual single piece of metal with no odds, ends, or moving parts. And there are props to be given for your shaving vid, since theres nothing else on youtube that shows someone using a sharp, no-frills piece of metal to shave with. :D

I liken it to saying, "I'd shave with a piece of broken glass if I thought it had a decent edge on it." And I've been known to say that from time to time... doing and saying are, of course, different things. :)

12. glh17

glh17 New Member

Nice video, thanks.
    Gary