Kamisori Wrap

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Sep 24, 2019.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I am looking for a good vid on how to do a Kamisori handle warp using a cord that is about the same size as paracord

PLEASE not the one on youtube that never shows the damn handle I watched that and it drove me bonkers

2. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    What ???

Did you think I would leave you hanging without pics of my new Baby

NOS clean steel Ahhhhhhh love it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nakayama here we come :D

Axeman556, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  3. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Glen,

I believe you could apply this technique to a kamisori, it's a pretty nice looking weave as well.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

5. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Not sure if I like the sizing on this stuff, did a fast wrap to test it

Hmmmmmm

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

It all depends on how traditional you want to be. Look up Japanese Sword Handle Wrapping Techniques. Plenty of differing designs, same idea.

7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Might do another "Wire Wrap" like I did on the last one :sport026:

[​IMG]

8. DaltonGang

I like the look of the Sword wrap, with the colored cloth under the Rattan, on one side only.
    [​IMG]

Mike-R41, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  9. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Im sure you can buy micro cord ... Maybe worth a look

Karl G, Billyfergie and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I think Blair @b1hart has done a few kamisori handle wraps.
    Maybe he'll stop in and share. ;)

11. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I have done knives in cord and when i have done a few dummy runs...i coat the tang with a thin coat of 2 part resin, holds everything solid...but can still be removed using thinners if you change your mind...it is also handy to start with...know where your end is and resin it in position and allow to dry...then you can play about with any ideas you may have...once decided go to step one again and a thin coat of the resin and bobs your uncle

RyX, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  12. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

53CE4844-259A-495C-BED6-E248A615F9E6.jpeg
    Top is a Feather Artist Club DX with the scales removed. Wrapped with 1.5mm leather cord. Ends are running horizontally down the handle, the side you are looking at. Ends meet in the middle of each color.

Bottom is a kami from Shavesmith. Blade end wrap starts on top of the handle, only 3 wraps deep. The tail end, you can see.

I've got 2 others in the wings....need to make a run to a local Tandy Leather store. Wanting to do them a little different, colors, etc.

HTH.

13. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I think I am going to move on from the idea of the thicker cord that came with the razor, I love the look, Hate the feel :(

I really like the Purple, I might look for a Purple colored wire, I have Red, Brown, and Gold, now might have to hit the "Beading Show" and see what I can find

Karl G, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I like this one.

Karl G, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  15. DaltonGang

I love the Rattan look. There are several ways to wrap them in rattan, and rattan wrapping material is inexpensive. Many styles and shapes of rattan to use for wrapping knives and kamisoris.

16. DaltonGang

Its your razor, you should wrap it whatever way you wish. Buuuuuuttttt, with it being such a fine blade, it deserves a fine looking wrap. Nothing wrong with possibly coating it in resin, adding some Gold/Purple silk on top, then a nice half oval rattan weave, letting the colors show on one or both sides, in a diamond style wrap, similar to the one I pictured, only wider diamond openings. But that style is basic. Look at how some swords are done, the same is done on kamisories.

17. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Does the cord you have, have a core. If it does you can pull the core out and it will be thinner and flatter. I like the colour of the outer but it does look too bulky wrapped.

18. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

LOL Dion aka DC Blades posted that idea on FB

I thought he had solved it, but No it will NOT slip out :(

Great minds think alike, you and Dion had a great idea there

Right now I am thinking of using the vid @Jamie Mahoney posted except doing it with 1/16 SS braided wire..
    I think that might give it a unique look

19. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

D77D2DF7-5917-4BB1-AE38-60E1A9848CF2.jpeg
    Here are two other kamisori wrap examples. I'm sure you've looked at tons!

The top is rattan....while it is a neat wrap, it definitely looks better (imo) on the traditional size/grind kamisori. The top blade, a J3Customs blade, will be rewrapped with leather or cord to look 'tougher'. Just haven't had the time yet.

The bottom...is a fine thread wrap. Quite a nice grip setup, even when soaking wet hands and handle. Each end seems to be a thick red paint, glue or maybe fingernail polish? The whole wrapped part of the handle is then clear coated. I bought a set of three...two were wrapped like this. This blade I only polished and then restored to shave ready. The other I was going to dissect the handle, completely polish and restore, partly to see how it is wrapped. It is thick, like layers, but I'm guessing it's actually over a material of some sort. Maybe someone has seen this before?

20. Sethology

Sethology New Member

Hello! How would one wrap a standard SS kamisori shavette? The way you did it is beautiful!

Karl G likes this.