Kanon for men

Discussion in 'Scents' started by urrlord, Jan 9, 2019.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

While wandering through TJ Maxx today I spotted this on the shelf.Kanon edt Spray.I have never seen the original I do own the Norweigian Wood version that I wear every few months.So I grabbed it for the sum of 7bucks.I remember online reviews being mainly favorable mentioning citrus top notes and wood and moss base.Sounds good to me.

I get home and open the box and spray a couple of squirts into the box and give it a sniff.Not good all I smell is cardboard.Let it sit a few minutes and sniff again-cardboard.I spray 2 more squirts in the box and can smell something other than cardboard.But I cannot tell you what I am smelling.So I spray some on the back of my hand and sniff ,no discernable citrus and an odd scent is present.I wait a few minutes and sniff again the odd scent is familiar and I can almost place it.I go to my wife and have her close her eyes and take a sniff and I say "play-do" and she bursts out laughing and says "Yes ,not as strong as play-do but the same smell".

I leave it on and over the next 3 hours the play-do scent lessens somewhat and a barely discernable sweetness is in the background .This stuff is oddly fascinating,smells nothing like its composition notes.Nothing like any of the reviews,has this stuff fallen victim to reformulation?Because at this point I can't see any reason for it to have lasted 50+ years.I don't think it will see alot of use.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

It has received the reformulation death kiss.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Paul Turner and Keithmax like this.
  3. urrlord

Update
    I sprayed a few squirts on the back of my hand and on my chest last night.This a.m. when I woke up I could smell play-do.
    Utter garbage.Garbage that has some staying power at a low level.
    Maybe I got a bottle that was badly stored,all I can say is avoid this krappe unless you can test it before purchase.
    It is not even fit to use as an toilet freshener.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. urrlord

I decided to use this stuff as a deodorizer in one of my spare bathrooms.I took a length of tissue and hung it up and sprayed 6-7 pumps on it and let it hang there.Play-do.The next morning I walk in and it is still play-do.I shake the bottle and spray 7-8 pumps on the tissue.I check in later in the day,play-do and some other back note.I spray the tissue some more and leave.The next day I check it same thing.However this time when I spray it there are some light floral notes.Nothing specific just a vague suggestion of flowers.I did this several days more on the theory that maybe the ingredients needed some air to "activate" thus the shaking and spraying routine..I have sprayed 50-60 pumps and now there is a slight green note and floral note at the start and the play-do note is still there but after drydown there is also a plasticky-leathery -earthy note.It is odd.I decided to wear it today and this stuff is still oddly fascinating .It sticks around at low projection and stays at slightly better than skin scent so far about 10 hours..None of the notes listed match anything that develops unless moss smells like plastic-leather.Maybe by the time the bottle gets half way down it will finally smell like the list on basenotes.I may actually have to search the bay and get a bottle of vintage Kanon to compare it to.
    Weird.

5. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

30F46AFD-E764-47A1-96C7-E842B15B5784.jpeg Are we talking about this monstrosity?

Please let me know so I could throw it in the garbage!

6. urrlord

Yes that is it.What is your experience with it?Is it a recent bottle or vintage?

7. brit

brit in a box

unless one likes play doh...

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I Like Play doh, but don't want to wear it. You're more adventurous than I. Take the wooden cap and send it to @Jayaruh so he could make it in to a brush. :)

9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The ONLY Kanon I like is Norwegian Woods. It is linear wood shavings the whole way through, great when working around the house.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.