Ken's Turkey Chili

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Bluesbishop, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Low Fat Turkey Chili
    I love chili! no ands if or buts about it; chili is one of my favorite dishes. Trying to eat though a healthy chili can be pretty tough, but recently I had an amazing turkey chili at Bar Louie and thought I could make something as good at home.

Make sure to make plenty as I did. Makes a great dinner, and the photos below were how I served it for my lunch. As a side, I made hot and spicy pickled green beans, peppers and onions....recipe to follow for that!

Ken's Low fat Turkey Chili

Ingredients

1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    4-5 tablespoons chili powder ( adjust to taste)
    2 tablespoons of cumin
    2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 can of tomato paste
    1 chipotle chile en adobo, coarsely chopped, with 1 tablespoon sauce
    4 pound ground turkey
    2 cups of beef broth
    2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans of fire roasted tomatoes
    8 oz of mushrooms, sliced

Directions:

In a large Stock pot over medium heat, add the oil, let heat and add onions and garlic to sweat, around 5 minutes. add in sliced carrots and mushrooms, stir constantly and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add in Ground turkey and stir to break up and let brown. Add in all salt, chili powder, and cumin. take half a cup of beef broth and puree chipotle and adobo sauce until smooth, add to pot. Add oregano, tomatoes, tomato paste and remaining beef broth, bring to simmer, and simmer uncovered for 45-60 minutes. To improve flavor, can be cooked for 2-3 hrs, and if so, increase the amount of liquid by adding additional beef stock.

Serve with your favorite garnishes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

From a native who state this dish originated around the 1730s, I will say that is a very good looking chili and probably (since I can't sample) tasting chili as well.

My hat's off to you.

For a little history on chili and how the dish migrated from the Texas area.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm

3. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Looks amazing, as a chef myself I can't wait to try this out this recipe myself

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Looks great! I'll definitely try this since I'm on a diet now for a month so far. I'll leave out the onions and carrots and triple down on the mushrooms though. Don't like raw-ish onions, never heard of carrots in chili but love me some mushrooms. But the rest of the recipe is perfect and easy!

5. Bluesbishop

Jody, I put carrot and mushrooms in the chili as a way to increase "volume" of serving and to reduce caloric intake, along with additional taste and textures....at the time I created this dish I was trying to lose weight....and this was one of my regular meals.

GDCarrington and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I guess I could leave the carrots in. I do like carrots. But I'll still double down on the mushrooms. I put mushrooms in just about everything.

I've been eating a lot of grilled (both gas and cast iron grill skillet) Jennie-O Natural Turkey Burgers, SeaPak Wild Alaskan Salmon Burgers, C. Wirthy & Co. Center Cut Salmon Filets and skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Along with some other things I've cut out, in a month's time, I've had to take my belt up a notch to keep my shorts up. So, I've been looking for other healthy things to eat that contain meat besides just turkey burgers, salmon burgers, salmon fillets and chicken breasts and this chili sounds perfect. I did make an awesome thickened chicken soup a few weeks ago in my crock pot but I think all of the rice that went with it kind of killed any healthy benefits.

7. Bluesbishop

Jody, with the exception of the carnitas and the cupcakes I'm gonna post...everything is very healthy....I will post some low carb healthy recipes for you tonight!:)

IAmTheJody and GDCarrington like this.