Kids & Cell Phones

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by dustmite, Apr 1, 2017.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I got a call from my cell carrier last night, and ended up getting new phones for the entire family. With waived fees, a new plan, and some dickering, I ended up with a bill that is $10 more per month than what I was paying for just my wife and me. I still have mixed feelings about it, though. My daughter's are 12 and 10, and very responsible for their ages. We live in a semi-rural area, and I can't recall the last time I saw a pay phone. We have run into issues a few times with activities and such where they borrowed a friend's phone to call us to change pick up times and such. I think my biggest issue is realizing how quickly they're growing up... Just curious what other opinions are on appropriate ages for cell phones.

Keithmax, Kizurra, Shaver X and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

wait for the phone bills.my daughters...ouch

Kizurra and dustmite like this.
  3. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

My daughters are only 4, 2, and a month old, but in the next few months Motorola is coming out with a phone that I think is a great idea for kids. It's the Motorola 3310.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. brit

brit in a box

i think we should blame fisher price.

Kizurra, AGHisBBS and dustmite like this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

We gave our kids a cell phone from when they started to bicycle to school on their own. It's a ten miles (15km) ride, and we felt safer when they could call someone in case of an emergency.

Kizurra, brit and dustmite like this.
  6. dustmite

I went with an everything unlimited plan, even roaming... Unless they leave the country without me knowing, the bill will be the same each month!

Kizurra and brit like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Laughing to myself... no US kid would be willing to bike 10 feet to school, let alone 10 miles. Mommy/Daddy would have to drive or they'd demand a school bus.

To the original question... not having kids, I can't comment. But, I think whatever you decide, it's so important to control access and duration of use especially if they get a smart phone. And get them to understand that a phone is a privilege not a right.

Keithmax, COMPNOR, Kizurra and 2 others like this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

My youngest is in high school. We got him a cell less than two years ago, around 13 years old. Our criteria was that they needed one when they were out of the house more often with the church youth group. I didn't want them being dropped off after an event without a way to let us know if they would be late or early.

Sent via mobile

Kizurra, Shaver X, brit and 1 other person like this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well, they'll have to. And I don't feel pity for them, we had to do the same as kids

(Okay, I do feel pity with bad weather, because I know how much I hated that myself )

Kizurra and lightcs1776 like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Cell phones are good for kids. Texting and internet connections are bad.

PLANofMAN, Kizurra and brit like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

We have 4 kids, 3 boys and a daughter, cellphones weren't widely available when the boys were in high school.
    My daughter got her first cellphone in 7th grade, if I could have a mulligan I would not have gotten her a cellphone.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wait 'til they start sexting. One of the problems we had in middle school. Lots of pressure...

Kizurra likes this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I've regretted letting my son have a cell phone. He got it at 12. And to me was a big mistake.

COMPNOR, Kizurra and dustmite like this.
  14. dustmite

These are some of the things I'm afraid of... They have both had tablets for 3 years now, and we do limit the time they can be used. The same will apply to the phones. They are allowed an hour on school days, and 2 on the others, that's for tablet, computer, PS3, etc. But, they'll be able to text and call friends and such.

Kizurra likes this.
  15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Personally, if I could do it over again, my son still wouldn't have a cell phone. It wasn't my call, but yeah you and I got along fine without them they could too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Kizurra and dustmite like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I was wondering about the 10 miles myself, lol.

It is sensible to let kids have a phone when they are away from the house more, whatever the age. I would think with school activities and visiting friends...The appropriate age most likely would fall around the pre-teen years.

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

5 to 10 miles is quite common for kids here (middle school; 13 years and up). But then, most of our country is as flat as a billiard table

Keithmax and Kizurra like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't think there is an absolute answer for this. It has to vary with the situation, including how responsible your kids are, how much they travel & by what means. If you live in a less urban area, I can see why they might need them sooner. By contrast, in a place where they are rarely isolated & can always find a bus or train, I think it can wait a little longer.

Kizurra, lightcs1776 and dustmite like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The only reason is for the kids to get a hold of me, in emergency situations. Old ugly flip phones, and no texting or internet capacity.

COMPNOR, Kizurra and dustmite like this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Well, I guess you can't do Fierljeppen the whole way to school. :(

Kizurra and Eeyore like this.