King of Shaves AlphaGel Shaving Gel Sensitive Skin

Discussion in 'Shaving Cream Reviews' started by Ursa, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

King of Shaves AlphaGel Shaving Gel Sensitive Skin is a brushless gel, rather than a cream. With the glowing review posted here at TSD for the orange AlphaGlide Gel, I was really looking forward to trying this one out. Alas, I was quite disappointed with the lackluster performance of this product.

Ease of lathering: This low-foam gel becomes a little frothy when applied to the face and it's easy to apply evenly. It wasn't goopy of slimy in the hand. No problems here.

Life span of lather: Tended to dry out on the face towards the end of the shave, regardless of the amount applied.

Moisturizing: A total disaster. Shaving with this resulted in dried out, flaky skin on my neck, and that's just inexcusable for any shaving preparation, let alone one like this that's marketed and priced as a step-up from mainstream aerosol products. Consider after shave balm mandatory after shaving with this.

Lubricating: OK, but nothing special. Like the worst aerosol gels, the lubrication gets in the way of a close shave. There was stubble on my face that would just refuse to be cut no matter how many passes were made.

How protective?: Pretty good, but, again, this seems to come at the expense of a close shave.

Scent: This has no added fragrance, and smells something like Vicks VapoRub. It's not really offensive, but certainly not luxurious in any way.

Price: I picked this up at my local Walgreens for US$5.99, but, truth be told, I can get a much more satisfying shave out of a $1.59 can of Barbasol, making this a terrible value.

Would you buy again?: Absolutely not. Everything that's wrong with canned gels is also wrong with this stuff--it doesn't shave closely, it quickly plugs up the razor with gunk, and dries out my face. There are brushless creams out there that actually work and cost less, too. I heartily recommend that you steer clear of this product.