Knot question

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by FatherofSquirrel, Apr 16, 2016.

1. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

I picked up this brush (google image)
    upload_2016-4-16_10-43-53.jpeg It is a rubberset 66. I have removed the knot and it measures 24mm. I noticed in a couple of brush restore threads, that some people suggested a slightly smaller knot to fit correctly.
    Does anyone know if this necessary or knot? Thanks. Tad

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

If the hole is 24mm don't go any larger than 22mm knot size. IMO.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png Unless you want to make the hole bigger to accommodate a bigger knot.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:signs011: Doug is correct.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  5. FatherofSquirrel

Thanks guys. Helps out a bunch. I don't think I could go bigger. Glad i didn't order a 24mm.

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When you measure a knot that isn't in a brush, you measure the narrowest point, which is the glue base. The brush flares out from that point, which is why you order a brush several millimeters smaller than the diameter of the hole.

If you want more splay and softer face feel, order a knot 3-4 mm smaller, though it will be fairly floppy. You can counter this effect to some degree by setting the knot deeper in the handle.

If you want more backbone, order a knot that is 2 mm smaller. This will result in a scrubbier, stiffer brush. You can glue coins in the handle to raise the knot up to make it less stiff and scrubby.

Most people order knots 2mm smaller than the hole opening.

7. FatherofSquirrel

Now I don't think you guys can help me with my next problem. Buying the knot ( I am leaning toward a silvertip or high mountain from whipped dog) or a fork bag for my motorcycle. I have the $ for neither so...:signs002:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You may want to check out TGN for a knot. Good prices excellent knots. Look at the Finest Badger at TGN also.

Boojum1 likes this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011: +1

10. FatherofSquirrel

BTW what is High Mountain badger and how does it differ from silvertip.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    HMB is a two band while the Silvertip is a three band. I think the silvertip may be a bit softer.

12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have a Whipped Dog High Mountain in a Made-Rite 200 restore. A marvelous knot. Great for face lathering with a soft soap. Feels good.:happy093:

13. FatherofSquirrel

Hmm. I do mostly face lather.

14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I just ordered a Whipped Dog HM and a Whipped Dog Silvertip for some more restores. As a repeat customer, I asked Larry to please send me what he considers top-of-the-line knots. He said he will. A great guy with which to do business. I did quite a number of knots with some Chinese vendors but I plan to stick with Larry from now on. Reliable, quality knots at reasonable prices. Plus the cost of the knot includes shipping.

15. FatherofSquirrel

Ok. so this is a pic of the brush I won awhile back from the very generous GDCarrington.
    [​IMG]

what kind of knot is this. It is badger, but what type. And btw this is one of my favorite brushes.