Knotty Badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by smokelaw1, Sep 22, 2008.

1. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Secondary title: Fuctional Art and Ruminations on Luxury Goods

When form and function align, and neither takes on a "following" or secondary role, something truly special happens.

Almost every day, I carry a fantastic small William Henry damascus folder. It is so beautiful, I still find myself staring at it nearly daily. It also happens to work so well that it cuts "bigger" than it is. It performs any job I am comfortable assigning to a tool so rare and expensive. (weekends and camping/hiking chores are left to other tools).

Almost every night, I carry a McGizmo Titanium PD-S flashlight. If you are unfamiliar, do yourself the favor and check them out. Beauty, simplicity, runtime, brightness, perfect size and durability all wrapped into one.

This morning, I had the absolute joy of having another one of these items find itself in my rotation. Knotty badger 20mm silvertip in fantastic dual-wood maple.
    I have never had a brush turn cream into lather with such ease. Fraser's polar ice became thick, luxurious and comfortable in half a minute. Tomorrow, some Nancy Boy, Wednesday, some GFT Rose...and I cannot wait to have my new friend join me in my morning quality alone-time going forward.
    The silvertip might be a touch soft for the vigourous lathering of hard soaps, but that might just be my own inexperience with both silvertip and very hard soaps speaking. I'll test it out and report back.

I love tools/toys that the maker's love can be seen on it, and you can feel it when using the thing. I have a Gransfors Bruks axe that while being used, I can nearly see the axe-smith turning steel into art. I'm sure he'd laugh at the silly suburban American calling his axe art. I'm OK with that.

Rodd, thank you for making these. It looks fantastic in my Shave Den, it feels wonderful in hand, and adds a bit more luxury into this already luxurious world of wet/DE shaving that all the folks on this site have introduced me to.

Sorry for the rambling/sloppy nature of this post. I am a bit busy, and might re-write tonight to make it a tad more coherent.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That brush is indeed a glorious piece of art! :happy088

I'm glad, and I'm sure Rodd is glad, that you are enjoying it so much.

3. riffin

riffin Active Member

"The Knotty Badger"

I think Rodd may have his brand name! :D

Edit: Ok. I just visited the store and saw The Knotty Badger IS Rodd's brand name.

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Thanks for posting this. I'm starting to look at getting a new brush and was curious about these brushes.

5. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

My pleasure.

This morning, I lathered up some GFT Rose with it. I used the normal amount of cream, and had enough lather to shave twice. OK, maybe I used just a BIT more cream than usual. But I had so much lather I reapplied whenever the mood struck, and still washed quite a bit down the sink.

Note to self: If baby did not have a good night's sleep, showing your wife how much lather is left over after a 3 pass shave will NOT impress her one little bit at 5:15am.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hahaha, too funny.....been there Josh :happy005 Do you have any photos of your Knotty Badger brush?
    How about photos of the William Henry Damascus folder :cool:

Thanks,

Neale