L&A razor (shavette)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Feb 26, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I recently received the L&A razor, which is a shavette style razor. Unlike most, it takes Injector blades, a feature shared with few other razors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Top: L&A razor
    Middle: Irving Barber Co. Razor
    Bottom: Weck Sextoblade military model.

The L&A weighs 37 grams
    IBC weighs 52 grams
    The Weck weighs 54 grams + 6 grams for the blade guard

All razors were weighed with a blade. Blades in the photograph were not installed, just used as reference, except for the Weck.

The quality is decent, though not up to the same level as the Weck or IBC. Despite being of Japanese manufacture, which usually means high quality, this item was made in the 1970's, which puts it at the same level as 1980's goods made in Taiwan or 1990's goods made in China.

The shave report will come in a few days. At which time I will add this razor's description and recommendation (or lack thereof) to my Shavette article.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That thing looks brand new

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I had one of these that was very rusted, and a blade was stuck in it due to corrosion and mess. I ended up throwing it away.

Darkbulb and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The magic of Scrubbing Bubbles.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. barber in the ville

barber in the ville New Member

I am interested in purchasing a L & A Shavette. I am a working barber and use one daily, but need to replace the one I have. It was my dads, who worked as a barber for 39 Years. He used it every day of his working career. Basicly the one I have has been worked for 45 plus years. Once you get used to a tool, nothing else feels right. If you can help me in anyway I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

PLANofMAN and richgem like this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I see there's one for sale, Buy It Now listing, on eBay for $30 and shipping...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-L-...ns-Straight-Razor-Shaving-Razor-/234199760616

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not sentimentality attached to mine. I think I paid around $35+shipping for it. Let me know if you are interested.

As far as I know, they were full steel and brass construction, so you ought to be able to get your father's razor replated.